NEWTOWN, Conn. - Two days after a devastating elementary school shooting that killed 20 first-graders, mourning in this New England town played out at Sunday church services, makeshift memorials and vigils. Meanwhile, President Barack Obama arrived in Connecticut to meet with families, and police said they found hundreds of unused bullets at the school.

The mourning was disrupted momentarily by more chaos when St. Rose of Lima's church was evacuated in the middle of mass after someone called the church saying "I'm coming to kill, I'm coming to kill" and it was closed for the rest of the day.

The president's visit, a rarity in Connecticut, added a dose of excitement to what had otherwise been a solemn, gray and rainy day in picturesque Newtown as funeral announcements trickled out and the school district announced the surviving children would return to school in a temporary building on Wednesday.

Crowds gathered to welcome his motorcade and to gain entrance to the high school auditorium where a multi-faith vigil was held.

There was anxiety about the first day of school since the massacre, and the mayor of nearby Danbury, Conn. announced a police officer would be posted at every elementary school on Monday morning, and other towns did the same. School security plans were re-examined as parents worried.

"I actually am very worried," said parent Megan Ifill of New Haven, Conn., who has two school-age children. "There are so many troubled people out there."

On NBC's "Meet the Press," Sen.


Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., further stoked the gun debate that has been raging since the shooting by promising to introduce an assault-weapons banon the first day of the new Congress. Since the previous ban expired in 2004, a dozen unsuccessful attempts had been made to reinstate it.

Authorities announced Sunday that Nancy Lanza died of four gunshots to her head while she slept. Police sources said Adam Lanza took his mother's car and guns that may have belonged to herto the school. There, he fired through the school's glass door to get inside and was met by the school's principal, Dawn Hochsprung, and school psychologist, Mary Scherlach, whom he promptly shot to death. The Hartford Courant reports he then turned left, bypassed one classroom full of students and entered another, shooting and killing all 14 children and two teachers inside. Next he moved onto teacher Victoria Soto's classroom, where she and six children were shot. As police arrived, Adam Lanza shot himself in the head.

"There were 14 coats hanging there and 14 bodies. He killed them all," an unnamed law enforcement officer told the Courant.

Lt. J. Paul Vance warned that incorrect information about the shootings was being distributed, including purposefully fraudulent photos that he promised police would pursue as criminal.

"All information relative to this case is coming from these microphones, and any information coming from other sources cannot be confirmed and is found in many cases to be inaccurate," Vance added.

The staggering list of thenames of the dead still was being poured over as Internet memorials popped up for some of the victims. They included Hochsprung, school psychologist Sherloch, and four teachers who were called heroes. Many families of the dead, especially those with dead children, quickly issued statements asking the media for privacy, and still others talked with reporters about their grief for their fallen loved ones, including the father of one of the children, Emilie Parker.

The shooting Friday began just after 9:30 a.m. in the school about 60 miles northeast of New York City, setting off a nightmarish scene in which students and teachers hid under desks and in closets before being escorted to safety and reunited with their families.

"I told them that I loved them and that they would be OK," said one of the teacher's who locked the door to her classroom when the shooting began.

The toll at Sandy Hook - 26 students and adults - made it the nation's second-deadliest school shooting, exceeded only by the Virginia Tech massacre in 2007, where 32 were killed.

A number of reports have changed since the shooting began. In early confusion, Adam Lanza's brother, Ryan, was initially named as the shooter by unnamed police sources. There were also multiple reports that Nancy Lanza worked in some capacity the school, but doubt was cast on those reports Saturday afternoon and officials told the Associated Press they haven't established a connection between his mother and the school. Connecticut's governor said he believed Adam Lanza attended the school at one point. However, police were investigating whether Lanza was the person who had some kind of altercation with staffers at the school on Thursday, NBC News reported. Asked about the report, police lieutenant Vance said on Saturday "We never indicated or never reported any indication of any altercation at all," he said.

After the shooting began, a custodian ran through the halls warning of a gunman on the loose, and someone switched on the intercom, alerting people in the building to the attack - and perhaps saving many lives - by letting them hear the hysteria going on in the school office, a teacher said. Teachers locked their doors and ordered children to huddle in a corner or hide in closets as shots echoed through the building.

Authorities have offered few official details on exactly how the attack unfolded, saying they planned to reveal a motive later. But police radio traffic indicated the shooting lasted only a few minutes before police arrived.

Officers arrived instantaneously, immediately entered the school, breaking windows and searching it completely, finding the dead shooter, children and teachers, and leading out survivors, Vance said. Later, four guns were found, among them a Glock and a Sig Sauer, both pistols, inside the school, and a .223-caliber rifle in the back of a car. Vance said at a Saturday morning news conference that investigators were tracking the history of each of the weapons that were recovered and there were multiple media reports that the guns were registered to Nancy Lanza. There were reports that Lanza might have tried to buy a rifle several days before the shooting, but did not succeed.

A law enforcement official said Adam Lanza was known to have some kind of personality disorder and was possibly on the autism spectrum, but he did not have a criminal record. His older brother, 24-year-old Ryan Lanza of Hoboken, N.J., was being questioned, had been extremely cooperative and was not believed to have any involvement in the rampage and was not under arrest or in custody, but investigators still were searching his computers and phone records.

The elder brother told law enforcement he had not been in touch with the alleged shooter since about 2010. Peter Lanza, the father of Adam and Ryan, was informed about the shooting Friday afternoon by a reporterwho was waiting outside his home in nearby Stamford. He and Nancy Lanza filed for divorce in 2008. On Saturday night, he released a statement saying he and his family were grieving for the victims.

"Our hearts go out to the families and friends who lost loved ones and to all those who were injured. Our family is grieving along with all those who have been affected by this enormous tragedy. No words can truly express how heartbroken we are. We are in a state of disbelief and trying to find whatever answers we can. We, too, are asking why," he wrote.

The scale of the shootings and the number of tiny victims has sparked another debate among politicians about gun laws, with several anti-gun politicians such as New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg issuing repeated biting statementsabout the tragedy and the role of firearms in it.

Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy, who was the one to tell some of the parents that their children were dead, "We're unfortunately a violent society," he said on "Meet the Press" Sunday morning. "We don't treat the mentally ill well. We don't reach out to families that are in trouble particularly well. We allowed the assault weapons ban to lapse. There are lots of issues that need to be take on as a society. Having siad that, we have laws that are more aggressive than most states."

On Sunday, the Rev. Robert Weiss announced that practice for St. Rose of Lima's church Christmas pageant would continue even though one of the children who was scheduled to play an angel was killed Friday.

At another service at the Newtown United Methodist Church, the Rev. Mel Kawakami said he was still angry.

"We've seen this before. We must forgive like before," he said. "But I'm not sure if I'm there yet. The tears are still fresh. The pain is still raw."