The headquarters for the University of Colorado's Utility and Energy Services division was recognized with the second-to-highest nationally-recognized certification for the building's sustainability.
The East District Energy Plant, which opened in 2014, reduced its water use by 41 percent and saved 25 percent of energy costs when compared to industry standards, according to a news release by the building's architect, LOA Architecture, and the project's mechanical and electrical engineer, RMH Group.
The plant, located on the east end of the main campus, earned praise from the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, which certifies facilities for their green building practices.
Sustainable practices for the building responsible for generating steam and chilled water for much of the Boulder campus included underfloor air distribution and energy recovery.
Construction materials also caught the U.S. Green Building Council's attention. Eighty percent of materials were diverted from landfills, 20 percent utilized recycled products and 20 percent were sourced from within 500 miles of the site.
In addition to the construction of the EDEP, CU renovated the 103-year-old Powerhouse into the West District Energy Plant and connected the two plants.
"The project satisfied CU Boulder's objectives to safely and reliably meet the growing critical utility (chilled water, steam, electricity) needs on the main campus, all while staying within an established budget, reducing carbon dioxide emissions, conserving natural resources, minimizing impacts to campus activities and preserving the campus' beauty," the release read.
CU athletic facilities were also recently recognized by LEED for their green building practices, earning the highest of four levels of national certification.
Elizabeth Hernandez: 303-473-1106, email@example.com