William Chavis
William Chavis (Boulder County Sheriff's Office)

A Boulder man is due in court Tuesday after police say he ran from them on the University Hill last week, broke into a fraternity house, changed into some of the members' clothes and hid in a closet.

Police were called to the Fox Theatre, 1135 13th St., around 8:55 p.m. Wednesday after a bouncer suspected a man identified as William Everit Chavis, 21, had given him an ID that did not belong to him, according to a police report.

An officer talked to Chavis, then started to call the ID in to dispatchers, according to the report. As the officer was doing this, Chavis took off down 13th Street, police said, and jumped a wooden fence, losing his shoe along the way. Two officers in a patrol car saw Chavis running and attempted to follow him, but the fence broke, according to the report.

One of the officers saw Chavis run into the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity at 1107 12th St. Two officers responded to the fraternity and found and arrested Chavis hiding in a closet. Police said he was no longer wearing the baseball jersey he had on when they first encountered him and was now wearing a shirt that was put on backwards and shoes that were several sizes too big for him.

Three members of the fraternity told police they were sitting in the house when an out-of-breath Chavis "barged" in and sat down on the bed next to the door. They said at first they thought he was a pledge, but eventually realized they did not know him, according to the report. They told police Chavis said he was on house arrest and that he was running from the police, then took off his jersey and fled the room when he heard officers arriving.


Police found Chavis was not under house arrest, and that his ID cleared with no outstanding warrants. He was on probation for a previous case, and has several past cases in Boulder District Court involving assault charges.

Chavis refused to talk to police after his arrest. He was booked on suspicion of second-degree burglary, first-degree trespass and obstructing a police officer.

He remains in the Boulder County Jail on $500 bond and is due to be formally charged Tuesday.