George Tiba
George Tiba

A Boulder district judge this morning denied bail for George Tiba as he awaits sentencing, saying the convicted sex offender was a flight risk and a danger to the community after fleeing to California during his trial in December.

Tiba, 49, made his first court appearance in Boulder since he failed to appear Dec. 13 for the last day of his trial on charges of sexually assaulting a 22-year-old woman he met at Boulder's Walrus Saloon last February.

After a judge ruled the trial would continue without Tiba, a jury found Tiba guilty of two counts of sexual assault, one count of second-degree burglary and one count of theft.

Boulder District Judge Andrew MacDonald advised Tiba of the verdicts this morning before addressing bond.

Deputy District Attorney Katharina Booth — who tried Tiba's case — asked MacDonald to deny Tiba bond before his sentencing, pointing out that he fled the state during his trial.

"Clearly Mr. Tiba's actions show he is likely to flee," Booth said.

Officials say Tiba, who lives in Evans, was originally free on $50,000 bond, but failed to charge the battery on his GPS ankle monitor and never showed up for court. Boulder police contacted authorities in San Francisco after they learned he might try to move there. On Dec. 19, Tiba was arrested without incident in that city.

Booth also said another woman has since come forward claiming Tiba had sexually assaulted her, and that Tiba was a danger to the community.

Tiba's attorney, Kathryn Herold, did not speak on the matter of bond.

MacDonald chose to deny Tiba's bond, citing his actions during the trial.

"Mr. Tiba does present a flight risk and a danger to the community, so I am going to deny bond on these charges," MacDonald said.

Tiba is due for sentencing on April 11. After being extradited from the San Francisco County Jail over the weekend, Tiba is currently in custody at the Boulder County Jail.

Under Colorado law, sex offenders are subject to indeterminate sentencing, whereby they may be kept in prison until they complete a treatment program.

Boulder police — who were assisted in the case by the Evans Police Department — said Tiba assaulted the victim in her Boulder home on 11th Street between 2 and 10 a.m. Feb. 17.

The victim told police she met Tiba the night before while out with friends at the Walrus, 1911 11th St. She said he also stole cash and other items from her home after the assault.

Contact Camera Staff Writer Mitchell Byars at 303-473-1329, or