A judge on Friday denied a second motion by the suspect in a fatal downtown Boulder shooting for new representation as his current defense attorneys also consider asking to push back his murder trial yet again.

Louis Sebastian, 33, is charged with one count of first-degree murder in the May 2017 fatal shooting of Christopher King, 49.

Sebastian pleaded not guilty in December and was scheduled for a two-week trial in June, but filed a request for alternate defense counsel at a hearing in April.

Jason Sharman and other attorneys with the public defender's office have been representing Sebastian.

Boulder District Judge Bruce Langer denied Sebastian's original request for new attorneys, but did delay the trial to October at Sharman's request.

But Sebastian submitted a second request for new defense attorneys, and got a hearing before Boulder District Judge Andrew Hartman since Langer has rotated off of the criminal docket.

Sharman asked that Langer be the one to hear Sebastian's request since Hartman might preside over the trial, but Hartman denied that request.


Advertisement

While the hearing was closed to everyone but Sebastian and his attorneys due to attorney-client privilege, after letting the public back in Hartman said Sebastian's arguments this time were not substantially different than his arguments in April and denied the motion for new defense attorneys.

"There has been no new evidence offered by the defendant, and after considering the defendant's current request and statements by the public defender, the court cannot find there has been an irrevocable breakdown in communication between defense counsel and the defendant."

Sebastian, who appeared in custody, let out a deep sigh at the ruling and at one point tried to speak to the judge again in open court before being advised not to do so by his attorneys. Hartman again closed the courtroom to hear more of Sebastian's arguments, but did not change his mind upon letting the public in again.

Following that ruling, Sharman added in open court that he is considering filing yet another request to continue the trial.

"I think we're going to need some more time," Sharman said.

Prosecutors objected to the last request for a continuance, and Deputy District Attorney Mark Grimaldi again said prosecutors and King's family would "strongly object," to any more delays.

Police say Sebastian and King got into an argument at Bramble & Hare, 1970 13th St., on May 29, 2017. Witnesses said that the two then went outside and shortly after that gunshots rang out. King came back inside the restaurant, where Sebastian followed and fatally shot him.

Police said an employee of the restaurant was able to disarm Sebastian.

An autopsy showed that King was shot a total of four times — twice in the torso, once in the thigh and another time in the shoulder — and grazed by a bullet across his front groin area.

Sebastian has claimed self-defense.

The two men had met earlier in the day after different people invited them to the same croquet party in Boulder. They did not previously know each other, but witnesses at the party indicated the two might have been fighting over a woman.

Mitchell Byars: 303-473-1329, byarsm@dailycamera.com or twitter.com/mitchellbyars