PHOENIX — As a coach who came through the ranks on the defensive side of the ball, Broncos coach John Fox knows the value of an edge rusher.
And given the Broncos' multiyear offer to Elvis Dumervil, Fox made it clear Tuesday he'd like to move on from the failed fax that killed Dumervil's contract last week and re-sign the defensive end.
"It's one of those things that just happens," Fox said. "Sometimes unfortunate things happen and now we'll move on. He's definitely in the mix. He's a player I've enjoyed coaching. He's done good things for our staff, defensively, our football team. He's definitely a guy who is in the mix for us, will be in the mix, should be in the mix. And we'll see where that takes us."
But the Dumervil drama is just one part of the Broncos' active offseason to this point, and Fox and executive vice president of football operations John Elway took some time Tuesday at the league meetings to address what's happened so far.
Elway vigorously refuted what has been almost a constant stream of media reports that the Broncos were one of the teams interested in acquiring New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis in a trade.
"He's under contract with the Jets, but we have no interest in (trading for) Darrelle Revis," Elway said.
Fox also said the Broncos had enough concern over the general health of their offensive line — four starters are coming off surgeries — to make signing guard Louis Vasquez a top priority in free agency. Vasquez, with a four-year deal, has received the biggest contract of any Broncos acquisition this offseason.
"Oh, definitely, that was one of the big reasons for the Louis Vasquez signing," Fox said. "We could've hoped that all those guys came back, but I'm not sure that would've been the smart thing to do. We should have great competition there. I don't think any of those guys will be afraid of the competition."