An exploding butane lighter possibly led to a fire Sunday at a Gunbarrel condominium that "substantially" damaged one unit, according to the Boulder County Sheriff's Office.

Boulder County fire crews responded to the blaze at 4485 Driftwood Place at 8 p.m. Sunday. The resident, Wayne West, told deputies he was refilling a butane lighter when it exploded and set a pile of papers on fire.

West was transported to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, and neighboring residents were also evacuated.

The unit sustained "substantial damage," and West and his roommate were provided housing by Red Cross.

The fire is still under investigation by the Boulder County Sheriff's Office and the Multi-Agency Fire Investigation Team.

Contact Camera Staff Writer Mitchell Byars at 303-473-1329, or