The homeless man found dead in an alley just off the Pearl Street Mall in June died of a drug overdose, according to a release issued today by the Boulder County Coroner's Office.
Coroner Emma Hall determined that Daniel Kitlitz, 27, of Boulder, died from "heroin intoxication," and ruled his manner of death an accident.
Kitlitz went to sleep on June 13 behind 1425 Pearl St., in the north alley, according to Boulder police. When friends checked on him around 6:45 a.m. the next day, he was unresponsive, and his friends called for medical assistance. He was dead when emergency personnel reached him.
Kitlitz was the fifth homeless person to die outside in Boulder since the beginning of April, and the third whose death involved drugs or alcohol.