LOS ANGELES (AP) â The widow of producer Aaron Spelling is placing “The Manor” in the exclusive Holmby Hills neighborhood on the market for a jaw-dropping $150 million, making it by far the most expensive home for sale in the U.S.

The French chateau-style mansion has 56,500 square feet of space on more than 4.6 acres and is the largest home in Los Angeles County. Among the neighbors are the Los Angeles Country Club and, not too far away, the Playboy Mansion.

Candy Spelling’s late husband produced hit shows such as “Charlie’s Angels,” ”Dynasty” and “Beverly Hills 90210.” He died in 2006.

“Everything there is glamorous, and is luxurious and it’s really great scale,” said Sally Forster Jones, an agent with Coldwell Banker Previews International in Los Angeles, which is co-listing the property. “There really is nothing to compare it to.”

Prospective buyers won’t have to worry about passing such scrutiny, Spelling jokes.

“Not at all,” she says.

The three-story mansion, built in 1991, is gated and features a winding driveway that leads up to the three-story house, which includes ceilings that reach up to 30 feet high, Jones said.

While some published reports put the tally of rooms in the mansion at well past 100, Jones couldn’t provide an exact count.

Spelling says she doesn’t know either.

“You’re really asking the wrong person,” Spelling jokes. “There’s a lot. (The house) has evolved and I actually haven’t gone around and counted.”

The Spellings found no shortage of uses for the many rooms in the mansion, however.

There’s a bowling alley, wine cellar, wine tasting room, gift-wrapping room, a humidity-controlled silver storage room, China room, library, gym and media room, among many others.

The screening room is one of Spelling’s favorites.

“I had some really wonderful times entertaining in that room,” she said. “We showed movies and I still do.”

The room features a movie projection system that automatically comes up from the floor at the same time that shades extend over the windows. It’s an idea that came to Candy Spelling in dream as she sought to avoid having a projection screen open all the time.

“I wanted Aaron to have the best projection room anyone had ever seen, and the biggest, so I came with this solution, not realizing that we had to excavate a lot of dirt to get down that low, to have a special room that housed the screen that was totally dust free,” said Spelling, 63.

The Spellings also finished the 17,000 square-foot attic that includes a barber shop and beauty salon.

The home also includes a wing for service staff, including a kitchen and seven bedrooms, and five fireplaces and four wet bars.

Lavish features also can be found outside the house, including a tennis court, fountains, a waterfall, a pool and spa, a reflection pool and a pool house with a kitchen, and 16 car ports.

The estate also boasts an 18th Century-style garden, a rooftop rose garden and a citrus orchard.

Prospective buyers won’t have to worry much about parking when they host big parties. The property includes a winding motor court with space for more than 100 cars.

Spelling plans to trade her mansion lifestyle for a luxurious, two-story condo atop a residential tower in Los Angeles that she bought last year for $47 million.

“I have a lot of wonderful, wonderful, wonderful feelings about this house and special things that I went through in building it, with a love that you can’t even imagine,” she gushed. “Yet I feel like I’m moving on to a new chapter in my life.”

“Candy Spelling told The Associated Press that she let her dog Madison, a soft-coated Wheaten Terrier, help pick out the best real estate agent for the task. She had her security bring the dog into the room every time she met one of the candidate agents and watched how the dog reacted. If Madison didn’t like them, Spelling crossed them off the list.”

Oh yeah, good decision. Let the dog choose who sells the most ridiculous house in ‘merica

davebks

6/9/2009 2:35:41 PM

I just can’t understand why people build homes that large!!! If I had a billion $’s, I wouldn’t need more than 3,000 sf! I might have several homes in different parts of the world, but who needs 17,000 sf and 100 rooms?!?!?! It must be just to spend money…why not give some back to the people who helped make it for you? I was looking at the Hearst Castle website wondering the same thing! I just don’t get it…I could handle the 16 car garage, and some land, though! ;-D

BroncoDano

3/27/2009 9:52:46 AM

I hope she gets her asking price. I hate to see a widow struggle financially.

orbison

3/27/2009 10:15:33 AM

Voice – The 17,000sf was only the attic. The house is 56,000sf. If you were a billionaire, it’s likely you would need a bit more than 3000sf just to entertain all of your “friends” – the people who got you there. It’s part of the lifestyle. I agree this house is way over the top, but somebody has to be the one to do it. Why not some Hollywood schmuck. It’s all showbiz.

They didn’t even mention the huge underground garage. I can’t remember how many dozens of cars it holds. I wouldn’t want it either. Though I have to admit it would be fun to be a guest for a couple of days.

Salinger

3/27/2009 10:27:58 AM

What a deal!I’ll take two.

ThatCertainWoman

3/27/2009 10:33:32 AM

I saw them speaking years ago on some tabloid show about the house and why they kept remodeling.

She said, “We don’t travel.”

BiggieSmalls

3/27/2009 11:00:30 AM

I wouldn’t want it unless I could buy the neighboring lot as well – you know, so I could expand easily.

Ibbits

3/27/2009 11:02:02 AM

No Holmby Hills, but Cherry Hills Village in south Denver is home to the highest priced and most exclusive real estate along the front range..Here’s the highest priced current listings..32,000 sqft. for 26.9 million..20,000sqft. for 17.9 million..,18000sqft. for 19 million..highest priced home in Boulder 10,200 sqft.for 8 million..

denvalber@aol.com

3/27/2009 11:58:45 AM

So that’s a FAR of .28

This goes to prove one needn’t overbuild to have a big house. 😉

RoseFromTheDead

3/27/2009 11:59:19 AM

Even on this scale, can you really call a 17,000 sq ft room with a beauty salon and barber shop an attic? I bet it’s even well ventilated…

UAN

3/27/2009 12:18:51 PM

I think I found it.

594 S Mapleton dr, Los Angeles CA

Zillow thinks it’s only worth $38M.

RoseFromTheDead

3/27/2009 1:13:43 PM

Down and out in Cherry Hills Village is below $2M LOL. I wonder what former coach Shanahan’s 36,000 sqft. home would go for? When I was driving through the area a few months back; a sales brochure offered a ski-in,ski-out Aspen Condo with the purchase of the 16M. Cherry Hills home.

newport1

3/27/2009 1:40:58 PM

One million dollars would fit in a container about the size of a 12 pack of beer, one hundred million dollars fits on a standard wood pallet stacked 5 foot high, one billion dollars would fit on ten standard wood pallets stacked 5 foot high, invision that, my point is if you are a billionaire what’s a hundred fifty million for a house, especially if you “don’t travel”………..

thecondoguy1

3/27/2009 2:22:14 PM

Um, yes and a few others.

“Charmed” (executive producer) (158 episodes, 1998-2006)

“7th Heaven” (executive producer) (221 episodes, 1996-2006)

“Beverly Hills, 90210” (executive producer) (292 episodes, 1990-2000)

“Sunset Beach” (executive producer) (508 episodes, 1997-1999)

“Melrose Place” (executive producer) (226 episodes, 1992-1999)

“Models Inc.” (executive producer) (29 episodes, 1994-1995)

“Dynasty” (executive producer) (217 episodes, 1981-1989)

“Hotel” (executive producer) (115 episodes, 1983-1988)

“The Love Boat” (executive producer) (241 episodes, 1977-1987)

“T.J. Hooker” (executive producer) (90 episodes, 1982-1986)

“Fantasy Island” (executive producer) (152 episodes, 1978-1984)

“Hart to Hart” (executive producer) (14 episodes, 1979-1983)

“Charlie’s Angels” (executive producer) (110 episodes, 1976-1981)

“B.A.D. Cats” (executive producer) (10 episodes, 1980)

“Starsky and Hutch” (executive producer) (89 episodes, 1975-1979)

“The San Pedro Beach Bums” (executive producer) (9 episodes, 1977-1978)

“The Mod Squad” (executive producer) (6 episodes, 1968-1972) (producer) (1 episode, 1968)

“The Most Deadly Game” (executive producer) (12 episodes, 1970-1971)

“The New People” (executive producer) (17 episodes, 1969-1970)

“The Guns of Will Sonnett” (producer) (44 episodes, 1967-1969)

“Honey West” (executive producer) (29 episodes, 1965-1966) (producer) (1 episode, 1965)

“Burke’s Law” (producer) (45 episodes, 1963-1965)

“The Dick Powell Show” (producer) (27 episodes, 1961-1963)

“Johnny Ringo” (producer) (10 episodes, 1959)

Not to mention numerous other TV series and made for TV mini-series.Not to mention an accomplished writer and actor.He bought this property from Bing Crosby, demolished the house and built this mansion for $47MM in 1991.

Dick_Tater