Officials with Boulder’s Open Space and Mountain Parks department have temporarily closed Boulder Falls, citing safety concerns.

The open space area 11 miles west of Boulder has been posted with “No Trespassing” signs. Officials said they’re worried that conditions in the cliff area above the falls are too dangerous.

For more information, visit www.osmp.org or call 303-441-3440.

Good in-depth article…

tpon

3/30/2009 8:03:39 PM

Yeah IrishMan! She deserved it! Hahahahahaaaaa!

Jesus_was_a_socialist

3/30/2009 8:09:32 PM

never said that. Love how people misinterpret. Typical.

theIrishMan

3/30/2009 9:59:46 PM

Your comment is disgusting Irish Man.

notronaj

3/30/2009 10:34:04 PM

notranaj, you are the one at fault. Totally misinterpret what I was saying. I am not even going to explain it to you. Not worth my time. Think what you like, but you are missing the point of my comment.

theIrishMan

3/30/2009 10:50:37 PM

Its dangerous for me to walk to JAX because there is snow sign between the two places.Where do these owners get off not looking at the weather before everything they do?!

All fun and games…

super_boulder

3/30/2009 11:12:43 PM

theIrishMan:

I got it. It is just like swimming in the ocean, you assume certain risks when you take part in certain activities.

I just don’t understand why everyone thinks the government needs to “cocoon” us from every “risky” activity. Life comes with certain risks and most of us know how to weigh those risks.

I do not know the injured party and do hope they recover quickly.

IF we could keep society from being so litigious, this would not be a problem. As it is, our local governments are so paranoid of lawsuits they do stupid things like these “no trespassing” signs on public lands with no imminent and certain danger. Post warning signs of the current risk level and let individuals decide for themselves.

I’d rather die on the side of a mountain than in a hospital bed; at least I would have control of my destiny.

Freefallin

3/30/2009 11:21:05 PM

Can someone please post an update on the woman who was injured at Boulder Falls? Thanks.

Mtn_Girl

3/30/2009 11:36:00 PM

thank you! Someone finally got it. I hope the older woman gets better soon too. I never said she deserved it or that I hope she got hurt good. Never was those words in my original comment.

It is nice to know someone is actually reading what I am writing and not just jumping to conclusion. That kind of behavior is the very thing that gets us into such a nanny state. Everyone is so easily offended, hurt, or belittled. We are teaching the kids today to be a bunch of pansies and that someone needs to be sued, everyone needs laws to regulate everything they do in their life. There is no such thing as “at your own risk”, nope, now it is, “everyone is liable.” I don’t know if this is strictly an American thing or not but you don’t see it so much in Europe and other places in the world.

theIrishMan

3/30/2009 11:47:42 PM

theIrishMan:

Did you hike the A.T. in 2006 by chance?

Freefallin

3/31/2009 12:22:38 AM

Irishman and freefallin

Personally I don’t think Europe is oblivious to nature either. My comment from yesterday:

“Posted by lynn_segal_aka_lds on March 30, 2009 at 2:13 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Dicey time to be hiking in volatile watery rocky areas after the destabilizing effect of 16 inches of now heavy melting snow the 2nd day after the blizzard. Talk about the gravitational oppressive pressure on an already eroding area!”

You know the elder who lived up on Spirit Lake at St.Helens when it blew CHOSE to die up there after the warning, with enough time to easily get out, and that’s OK.I don’t really think his pets should have been left up there too, not really having an understandable choice in the matter. Policy with him however is inconsistent, because Jack Kavorkian went to jail for helping people in pain commit suicide.

lynn_segal_aka_lds

3/31/2009 1:41:41 AM

clarifying comma-

You know, the elder who lived up on Spirit Lake at St.Helens when it erupted CHOSE to die up there after the warning, with enough time to easily get out, and that’s OK. I don’t really think his pets should have been left up there too, not really having an understandable choice in the matter. Policy with him however is inconsistent, because Jack Kavorkian went to jail for helping people in pain commit suicide.

lynn_segal_aka_lds

3/31/2009 1:45:16 AM

lynn_segal:

We are not saying that this woman’s tragedy is not well, tragic.I sincerely hope she is alright and mends 100%.

What we are saying is that rather than closing a public area; post a sign, or a guard, something saying that you are likely to get maimed or killed on this trail and we assume ABSOLUTELY NO RESPONSIBILITY! That way the trail stays open for those that know how to watch for danger as well as those that are willing to assume the risk knowing full well that their life is on the line.

If I were hiking any trail and got killed by an avalanche, rock slide, or rogue mountain lion, etc…, I would haunt any family member that tried to gain financially from my demise.

I know the risks going in as should anyone venturing off the lined path that is Pearl.

Freefallin

3/31/2009 2:09:30 AM

this is just how nature is. Might as well close the Longs Peak Trail in the summer, it is too treacherous. Yep, let’s monitor every freakin thing we do now. So the old woman got hurt, ever heard of “sh#t happens”??

theIrishMan