Josh Coughlin, 3, (left) and his brother Logan, 1, watch as Joseph Carroll, co-founder of Boulder Soup, hands a sample to their father, Tim Coughlin, of Boulder, at this year's first Boulder Farmer's Market on Saturday.
Kasia Broussalian
Josh Coughlin, 3, (left) and his brother Logan, 1, watch as Joseph Carroll, co-founder of Boulder Soup, hands a sample to their father, Tim Coughlin, of Boulder, at this year’s first Boulder Farmer’s Market on Saturday.

In spite of cold weather and overnight snowfall on Saturday, residents who have waited months for the seasonal event made it out for the first day of the Boulder Farmers’ Market.

Amedeo Negrini and Matthew Ehrlich, both 25, have a bread stand at the market and said that they were pleased with the turnout on the first day of the market’s 23rd season.

“I’m excited about the people, familiar faces, regulars,” Negrini said. “It’s already day one and I’ve seen everybody.”

Mark Menagh, executive director of Boulder County Farmers’ Markets, said that the market typically has about 120 vendors lined along the narrow stretch of 13th Street between Canyon Boulevard and Arapahoe Avenue. He said that officials are looking at ways to ease crowding, such as setting up areas off 13th Street where patrons can eat and socialize.

“We’re addressing that, there’s a lot of different things that we’re doing,” said Menagh, “We’re looking at having people walk in a clockwise direction around the market. We’re going to be working on having more ‘conversation stations’ off the main street because, even though we’re a market, we’re also a social event.”

Hilary Van Dusen, who runs the Haystack Mountain Goat Dairy booth, agreed that the market has gotten a little crowded of late but said that, for a vendor, the bigger the crowd the better.

“It’s gotten more crowded,” she said. “I think it helps that they added the extra bench (an area for hot food vendors) around the corner. I don’t think it’s too crowded, though; as a person who’s selling, I appreciate the growth of the (Farmer’s) Market.”

Shoppers Louisa McGarty and Mark Law also said that the market can get a little packed, making it hard to get from vendor to vendor. However, Law also said that he didn’t really see it as a negative.

“It gets really crowded, yeah,” he said, “But I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing; I think that shows the interest there is for local products. So, they should view that as a good thing and maybe think about trying to expand the space for it so there’s more room for people or do another day during the week.”

Menagh said that Project for Public Spaces, a nonprofit planning and design organization from New York, is working with the city’s Parks and Recreation Department on a redesign of the Farmer’s Market.

“We’ve outgrown this space to a certain extent,” Menagh said. “At the same time, we’re very proud of what we’ve accomplished.”

2009 Farmers’ Market Schedule

2009 Farmer’s Market Crop Calendar

Explore an interactive Farmers’ Market crop calendar. Find details on crop varieties and availability.

Go »

View a printable version of the calendar (PDF)

VIDEO: 2009 Farmers’ Market season begins

Let’s hear it for the new Urine Drinking booth.

thinice

4/4/2009 4:52:04 PM

PLEASE DON’T MAKE ME WALK IN A CERTAIN DIRECTION!!! (brings back the scene from “Midnight Express”) I like to back track sometimes when I see something I forgot (or a person I know). With kids….it can’t be done…they go all over at the same time.

Hope

4/4/2009 5:26:25 PM

I think this is the worst picture I’ve ever seen on the front page of dailycamera.com

I had to stare at it for 20 seconds before I could make out what was going on.

NukesInBoulder

4/4/2009 5:46:13 PM

I am old enough to remember when farmers’ markets were where you could go to buy produce directly from the farmers at really good prices.

Danimal

4/4/2009 6:09:31 PM

buying local is great but going into debt by paying the high prices of buying local, not so good.

theIrishMan

4/4/2009 7:04:14 PM

Hey Nukes – I looked at the same picture.Took me all of .4 seconds to figure it out.Must be something wrong with how your brain processes images.It might be the same part of your brain that makes you feel the need to kvetch incessently about stuff no one else cares about and take a big runny dump over any story about successful people in town.

Dr_Belfrey

4/4/2009 8:21:53 PM

you complain about prices but i suggest taking the time to ask farmers why the prices are so high.organic farming is rather labor intensive thus a good majority of the farms budget goes to paying for said labor.i for one believe the government should redirect subsidies to help facilitate good food being available to everyone regardless of class.with that said if you have a problem with the prices then don’t grace the market with your presence.these farmers net very little at the end of the year even when their operations are running efficiently.they don’t do it for the money.

donnamichelle

4/4/2009 11:34:29 PM

I wonder how much the city is going to pay to have a New York City firm redesign the Farmers Market – to fly the consultants to Boulder, to bring the out-of-town consultants up to speed on what Boulder is all about, to suck more money out of the local economy instead of hiring locals.

I’ve always been impressed with the design talents in the local Boulder community.The design of a Farmer’s Market is not rocket science (Boulderites do a fine job at that too) and one would think we could improve the market with local talent.

The Farmers Market is funky and a resounding success.I’d hate to see the Parks and Recreation Department bureaucrats and urban designers with a New York City mentality screw it up.

EasyRider

4/5/2009 3:02:52 AM

Good outdoor markets are always crowded. It feels like we’re there TOGETHER… which is a feeling I like. Why mess up a good thing by having someone from the outside of the experience redesign it? I love our crowded Farmer’s Market just the way it is and never miss a Saturday morning of rubbing elbows with friends. Don’t fix what’s not broken.

mtman

4/5/2009 6:43:15 AM

I heartily agree with Comments above; the Boulder County Farmers Market has been one of the best ideas ever, while the idea of making people walk in a certain direction is one of the dumbest.The joy of a market is that it isn’t a linear experience; one instead wanders and discovers.And if one is forced to physically encounter other human beings … their bodies, faces, and voices … well hopefully that’s still a good thing; a healthy and needed counterpoint to how we are communicating and relating to each other (if we even are) right now.

Buzz

4/5/2009 7:09:30 AM

Great, just like Ikea. The day they tell me I have to walk in a certain direction is the day I stop buying at the Market. My family’s been supporting it since it began but that idea just rubs me the wrong way. It seems to me that the Market is adjacent to the large and underutilized Central Park. Just a thought.

BoulderBorn

4/5/2009 7:59:50 AM

Yes, please don’t let City of Boulder Parks and Rec have any hand in the Boulder Farmer’s Market. They will act all nice and say they want to help but as soon as they have control, they will raise the fees to be a vendor in the market which will make the vendors have to raise their prices and before long, the crowds will die down and bam! the Boulder Farmer’s Market dies. That was their deceptive plan in the beginning. Boycott City of Boulder Parks and Rec, they don’t want any fun around town and they just want your money.

theIrishMan

4/5/2009 8:35:08 AM

Boulder has one of the best farmers markets in the country and the only ones that I have been to that are better are in very large cities like Seattle or Portland-san Francisco and N.Y.We are VERY lucky to have such a great one-and it is expensive but for a few months of the year I am happy to pay more for my food because it is local and better all around. It has gotten large-if you get there much after 9 it is a bit of a freak show-but that is the beauty of it. Everyone wants everything to be cheap-but it is obvious that judging by the size of the crowds at the market it is not just myself that is willing to pay a little more for better quality.

And as far as walking in a circle-that is dumb-there are better ways to deal. It seems like the “food court” section of the market could maybe be set up over by the band shell-all of that seating over there with a few tables on the stage set up out of the sun might be kind of cool.

I am sure that they will figure it out-and really what a great “problem” to have-better that then having to decide whether or not the market should continue because no one is attending. It has been a tough year so it will be interesting to see how the market does.

getaclue

4/5/2009 9:37:08 AM

Instead of walking clockwise, they should hire crossing guards to ensure that people walk according to the rules. If you see someone you know, you shouldn’t be allowed to talk with them; you should use a cell phone like a normal person. Think of how much more efficient things would be if we all just fell in line and got this Farmer’s Market experience over with in an orderly manner. Also, to pay for the crossing guards, they should consider charging for admission, maybe $6 for adults and $4 for children and seniors. I’m all for organic, locally grown food, as long as it’s managed in an orderly and predictable manner.

Instead of hiring Project For Public Spaces, they should go right to the experts: Disney.

blgilbert

4/5/2009 10:00:54 AM

Why not just expand the market into the park behind it? Seems like a simple solution to me. I had planned to start going to this this year to try to start eating more locally. I hope it is not cost prohibitive.

I guess there is munsen farms futher east.

Dunkterfunk

4/5/2009 10:39:52 AM

Go ahead and tell me to walk in a certain direction. I’m pretty sure that before too long you will see me walking in the opposite direction.

Just like when the City Council created the HCA’s in OSMP. I hardly ever hiked off trail until they told me it was against the rules.

ts

4/5/2009 10:53:31 AM

Hey ts, good for you. (You really think we care?)

KR