For the Camera/ Greg Daily
Officer Gary Stevens, left, and Officer Kevin Granberg look over the scene of a fatal accident at the intersection of 28th Street and Jay Road. For the Camera/ Greg Daily

Boulder police suspect that a driver killed early Monday morning after his passenger van hit a milk-delivery truck might have been drunk, according to police spokeswoman Sarah Huntley.

The accident happened at 1:40 a.m. Monday at the intersection of 28th Street and Jay Road, she said.

The driver was identified as Gerardo Ochoa-Lopez. His age and hometown weren’t available Monday.

The milk-truck driver, Bryan Heltsley, was treated at the scene for minor injuries then released, Huntley said. A passenger in the van, Samuel Borjon-Caldera, was hospitalized with serious and possibly life-threatening injuries, Huntley said.

He remains in critical condition, she said.

According to investigators, the van was headed north on 28th Street when it hit the milk truck, which was turning left onto the street from west-bound Jay Road.

Huntley said Ochoa-Lopez was pinned behind the wheel and had to be extricated. He was pronounced dead at the hospital a short time later, she said.

Huntley said that a taxi driver who came upon the accident shortly after it occurred reported that the traffic lights were out. It’s unclear whether the lights were out before the accident or if the wreck caused the outage, Huntley said.

The intersection remained closed for about three hours to allow for significant clean-up, Huntley said. Milk crates and cartons were thrown from the truck, she said.

The driver was pinned and had to be extradited? Really? Try extricate.

I feel like a broken record when I ask this: Where is the editorial staff? This is ridiculous, I barely go a few days without reading a FRONT PAGE article that contains basic grammatical errors.

Really calls into question the whole credibility of the paper.

NSFW

3/30/2009 10:32:12 AM

NSFW … yes, thanks, we saw that, too. We posted the story live before it was edited and shouldn’t have.

… kk

kaufmank

3/30/2009 10:42:35 AM

I hope that NSFW has either a paid subscription to the paper, or a paid subscription to the e-edition.I really believe that you get what you pay for.

llweed@aol.com

3/30/2009 10:45:11 AM

NSFW, I’d like to see you do a better job on an editor’s salary. But more than that, I’d like to come to your place of work and heckle you the next time you make a mistake.

Buff_bronc_fan

3/30/2009 12:04:42 PM

Yup, I have the print version, because I really believe newspapers are important parts of our media. And a strong media industry is a very important part of our culture and a good check on all levels of government.

Unfortunately, llweed, I don’t feel I am getting what I am paying for. The issue of the rash of sex assaults late last year/earlier this year hasn’t been followed up on, our local politicians aren’t really being taken to task, and as I always point out, the editorial quality here is severely lacking.

Sure, one could argue I should just leave, not read the site, not read the paper, but I really believe the DC can do better, and would like to see that change.

NSFW

3/30/2009 12:04:56 PM

Buff_bronc_fan,

That’s a weak defense of mediocrity. I’m sure the editorial staff wouldn’t hide behind that, either. They acknowledged and fixed it, I admire that. At what pay threshold can I begin to expect properly formed sentences, proper syntax, and adherence to basic grammar standards? I’m interested to hear how you create this standard, too.

And I fully expect my clients, peers, and management team to hold me to high quality standards. Unless you’re one of the aforementioned, please refrain from coming to my place of work.

NSFW

3/30/2009 12:09:00 PM

I think the real issue is someone died here – grammer issues should not be the problem.My thoughts and prayers to the family.

siggy1123@hotmail.com

3/30/2009 12:10:29 PM

We shouldn’t be paying to ‘grammar’ issues, not ‘grammer’.

rhinolips

3/30/2009 12:21:17 PM

While I appreciate the DC’s admission of inadequate editorial oversight prior to posting this story online, the real issue is that the Camera actually employs a reporter, Ms. Miller, who does not understand the difference between “extradite” and “extricate.” Absolutely astonishing!

What else does she not understand? It boggles the mind . . .

1axel

3/30/2009 12:31:46 PM

its called a typo…get ova yo self

he_b_gb@yahoo.com

3/30/2009 12:43:40 PM

Both you kids, knock it off.Just wait til your father gets home.

sheesh, people, get a life

Hutch620

3/30/2009 1:02:16 PM

No, I think they meant extradited.He should be taken out of Boulder and tried somewhere where people are sane enough to determine guilt.

While I don’t like to see anyone die, I’m glad he did not take someone with him.

Dick_Tater

3/30/2009 1:06:53 PM

Sorry: a typo would be something like “extrivate” — you hit an adjacent key on your PC when intending to write “extricate” and your spell checker doesn’t catch it. When Miller wrote “extradite” it was no doubt because she doesn’t really understand the meaning of one, or both, words.

Again, it’s not the “typo” that’s important to me, it’s that a DC reporter apparently doesn’t know rather basic English vocabulary. How can this not affect how much weight one gives to her reporting?

1axel

3/30/2009 1:08:20 PM

no kidding Hutch…….do we have to stop and turn back towards home because they are acting badly??SHEESH!!Like siggy said…..a person died and THAT is the issue.My sympathies to the family.

Hope

3/30/2009 1:11:16 PM

What dairy company was the truck from?Or is that confidential information so that people don’t cancel their orders.

Elwood

3/30/2009 1:32:01 PM

This crying over spilled milk must end or else Vanessa will get a sour temper.

Pinda_Lick_o_yi

3/30/2009 1:52:40 PM

Hope, Hutch, Siggy, et al –

Death and a family’s loss is sad, no doubt. I, too, find it sad.

How that sorrow or sadness absolves a newspaper of the need to adhere to the standards of the English language or obviates anyone’s right to complain that they’re not doing a very good job at said practice.

Really, the discussion of the state of the Camera’s editorial process and the fact someone tragically died in a traffic accident are two separate discussions.

Don’t mix words, arguments, or play the “someone died” drama card. In no way does discussing one topic make the other any less real, unfortunate, or factual. Unless, of course, someone makes that statement – which has not occurred in any comments to this point.

NSFW

3/30/2009 1:56:14 PM

I worked with the passenger, and considered him a good friend.Unfortunately, Dick_Tater, he passed away too.RIP Gerardo.

SYanux32

3/30/2009 1:59:45 PM

Hmm, looks like my own editorial process is lacking, 2nd paragraph should read:

That sorrow or sadness does not absolve a newspaper of the need to adhere to the standards of the English language nor does it obviate anyone’s right to complain that they’re not doing a very good job at said practice.

NSFW

3/30/2009 2:00:31 PM

Need to let go of the grammar and spelling war and focus on the most important issue.Did the milk make it?

Sea_Bass

3/30/2009 2:24:50 PM

I wonder if that’s the milk delivery driver who barrels through Heatherwood early every Monday morning like a mad man at top speed?

donwrege

3/30/2009 2:55:08 PM

NSFW is completely right.

When I worked as the editor of a small newspaper, one of my tasks was to read everything that went in.Just once, for proofreading, after department editors had finished with the copy.(I also did most of the typesetting, but that’s a different story.)I caught obvious mistakes in nearly every article, and corrected them.Because ultimately, I was responsible for the words.Obviously this isn’t necessarily the Editor-in-Chief’s job, but someone literate should do it.

No one at the Camera does this.It is reflected in the quality.

ogghead@yahoo.com

3/30/2009 2:58:38 PM

I stand corrected and I’m sure DC will update their story.As they do when facts change or some grammar nazi comes along.I take no pleasure in hearing of someone’s death.But there are two types of people out there, those who drive while intoxicated and those who don’t.There is some solice in knowing that there is one less drunk driver on the road.Gerardo accepted the risk of getting into a vehicle driven by a drunk, a choice that many who are killed by drunk drivers do not get to make.With centuries of data, millions spent on getting the word out, there is no excuse for getting behind the wheel while intoxicated.As for Bryan, he was just delivering milk.Now he has to deal with having been involved in a fatal accident.I am happy that he survived.This could have been any one of us, that the driver would have killed.Because we don’t drive around in milk trucks.

Dick_Tater

3/30/2009 3:14:03 PM

Darn DC, just when I try to throw you a bone.You update your story.SYanux32, looks like your friend was the driver.I hope Samuel ( now identified as the passenger ) survives.

Dick_Tater

3/30/2009 3:20:03 PM

@ NSFW

“Really calls into question the whole credibility of the paper.”

You started a sentence with “really” and you used the word “whole” in front of credibility.

Wow, you are an amazing writer, I see a Pulitzer in your near future.

GabeMc

3/30/2009 3:36:02 PM

The other driver was under the influence of 2% milk.

fardila@hotmail.com

3/30/2009 4:08:39 PM

At least this story of a drunk driver getting in a fatal accident has a happy ending.He didn’t kill the person he hit.

ThatCertainWoman

3/30/2009 4:54:28 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with the family of the deceased and injured.

Gardenburgers4prariedogs

3/30/2009 5:01:25 PM

I hope Samuel survives too.RIP Gerardo, even if you shouldn’t have been driving…

SYanux32

3/30/2009 5:08:46 PM

Alcohol MAY have been involved. Please save you’re accusations until the story is fully known. Gerardo was a great guy and he will be sorely missed. RIP.

samuel.werler@colorado.edu

3/30/2009 5:18:01 PM

Everybody wudda been better off if Gerardo had been drinking urine instead of cheap wine.

thinice

3/30/2009 6:44:11 PM

Get off your self-righteous high horse NSFW. Or go start your own local news site that churns out free content all day long and never makes a mistake.

Buff_bronc_fan

3/30/2009 7:16:47 PM

So, lets get this straight…the traffic light MAY have been out and/or alcohol MIGHT have been involved..and even tho the driver was pinned behind the wheel, he was misidentified…

In other words, nobody knows what the heck happened…

Headline should be ‘Accident in Boulder, cause currently unknown’

Seriously…

JakPott

3/30/2009 7:43:33 PM

you really have nothing else to worry about then this f-ing typo in a FREE version of a newspaper…I don’t see you joining a newspaper to make it better by doing it yourself since your so perfect and mistake-less.

vYRaL303

3/30/2009 8:07:30 PM

Foreigner?CHECK

Drunk Driver?CHECK

Trailer as Residence?PROBABLY CHECK

Tax Evader?PROBABLY CHECK

In Country Illegally?PROBABLY CHECK

ETC.

ETC.

ETC.

Every story is like a broken record with just slightly different circumstances………….

RedWhiteAndBush

3/31/2009 12:49:39 AM

NSFW — I also find the editing lacking and am frustrated by the consistent reporting errors in the DC.I usually contact the reporter/editor 1st before I’d post to the forum, just to give them a chance to correct the issue rather than attack/berate them.

U kinda seem like the 1st grader that loves to yell corrections out loud when another kid makes a mistake when reading.Yes, thank U NSFW, we all know how smart you are but let’s give Vanessa a chance now.

U_Tuchus

3/31/2009 11:00:15 AM

How much you wanna bet the driver was illegally in this country.

snarlpup

3/31/2009 11:19:16 AM

Sadly, there are far too many incidents involving drinking and driving causing injury and death.I personally have been struck by drunk drivers on several occasions.At least once I was very seriously injured.Each time the drivers had been arrested for drunk driving before.Only one had insurance.We need more effective programs to deal with this epidemic and to compensate victims for their losses.

amoswald@yahoo.com

3/31/2009 3:39:55 PM

Rounding up all the illegals and shipping them home would be a good start.

snarlpup

3/31/2009 4:01:34 PM

There are a variety of causes for illegal immigration that are not properly addressed.The effects of trade agreements, government subsidies and international lending policies on the economies of foreign countries force young men(typically) out of their home countries to search for a better way to earn a living.

Illegal immigrants by no means live the life of luxury in the US, rather they are relegated to a lower societal class, to jobs that are often below their skill level, and are kept from their families in their home countries for years at a time, all while paying taxes and contributing to local economies.

Being from a developing country is a red mark on an application for immigration to the US, in my opinion it’s a form of racism that goes unaddressed.Your inappropriate, insensitive and uneducated comments about the legal status of the driver has nothing to do with the fact that a young man was killed very far from home, unexpectedly and tragically.

Alcohol is suspected as the cause, but with no conclusive evidence.Nobody is focusing on the possibility that the traffic light was faulty.God forbid the county have to take responsibility for the death of a man who may have been trying to help a drunk friend get home safely.

Behind every news story there is a true story, it’s unfortunate this story was so poorly reported and it’s unfortunate people who comment are so cold and unfeeling.

brokedownpalace

3/31/2009 4:31:45 PM

The reasons behind a crime do not excuse the crime. If you don’t like the law, get it changed. Until then, obey the law, leave this country, or go to jail. Period.

How much you wanna bet the driver didn’t have a license or insurance either?

snarlpup

3/31/2009 5:58:48 PM

If you are sober, and you come to an intersection when the traffic light is out you still come to a stop, don’t you? I believe that’s the law too. You still come to a complete stop.

However, if you’re a bunch of intoxicated illegal aliens headed back to the barn (the mobile home park on the other side of 28th Street, in this case) there’s a good chance you’ll blow right through it and cause an accident.

How much you wanna’ bet these characters have gang ties too?

snarlpup

3/31/2009 6:02:09 PM

Snarl, which side is the “other” side of 28th.The opposite of the side you’re on?

llweed@aol.com

3/31/2009 6:47:32 PM

the west side of 28th near and to the north of Jay Road.

snarlpup