• Kasia Broussalian

Police enter a home where a man and woman were found dead Wednesday afternoon in the north Boulder. Photo by Kasia Broussalian / The Camera

• Marty Caivano

Flowers have been placed on the porch of the house of Robert Oakley, where he and his ex-wife, Katelin, were found dead yesterday.

• Paul Aiken

A Boulder Police Officer investigates the scene when two people were found dead in Boulder on Wednesday afternoon. Photo by Paul Aiken / The Camera / April 1, 2009

• ROBERT OAKLEY

• KATIE OAKLEY

of

Two divorced parents found dead Wednesday in a north Boulder home both died from gunshot wounds to the head, but they were killed by different weapons, autopsies revealed Thursday.

The bodies of Robert Bryant Oakley, 39, of Boulder, and Katelin Rose Oakley, 30, of Golden, were found in his 3100 23rd St. home after police went to investigate a 911 call during which no one ever spoke, authorities said.

He died from a shotgun wound and she died from a “gunshot” wound, Boulder County Coroner Tom Faure said Thursday, but he did not determine who killed whom.

Boulder police said the two were victims of a “domestic-related crime,” but have released few details. Investigators found a 9 mm pistol and 12-gauge shotgun at the scene, police spokeswoman Sarah Huntley said, but she wouldn’t say who they think fired each gun.

The couple’s two boys, ages 3 and 6, were not home at the time of the shootings, and are being cared for by family members and the Department of Social Services, Huntley said. The Oakleys shared custody of the kids, whom they typically exchanged after school on Wednesdays, she said.

When someone called 911 from inside the home at 3:03 p.m. Wednesday, dispatchers never heard anyone speak or any background noises, Huntley said. No one answered the phone when dispatchers called back, and a pair of officers went to investigate.

While they were on the way, an out-of-state family member called Boulder police and asked officers to check on Robert Oakley and his children.

When no one answered the door at the ranch-style home, officers broke in to find the bodies.

Police had previously been called to the home by Robert Oakley March 3, during a disagreement with Katelin Oakley, who had come to retrieve her belongings, according to records. Details of that incident were not released, but neither of the Oakleys has a criminal record in Colorado.

According to state records, they married on May 27, 2001, and divorced March 28, 2008.

A representative from the Denver law firm where Katelin Oakley previously worked said she resigned March 20. Neighbors said Robert Oakley was a taxi driver for Yellow Cab.

By Thursday afternoon, a small pile of flowers and notes began to grow on the steps to Robert Oakley’s front door. Neighbors near the light-green house, with a white picket fence and neatly trimmed yard, gathered outside to talk to one another.

“It’s a tragedy,” said Donna Jordan, who lives two houses down.

She said no one had seen Katelin Oakley since the divorce.

“Shortly after their second child was born, she left,” Jordan said. “She never came to the house.”

Jordan said Robert Oakley told her he decided to meet his ex-wife in public places to exchange custody of their boys, because the situation between the parents was becoming “so stressful and not going well.”

She said she never knew about any weapons in her neighbor’s house.

“I can’t imagine him having guns in the house with the kids,” she said.

Contractor Jeff Snyder, 49, of Arvada, said he was working on a fence next door to the Oakley home Tuesday when Robert Oakley came outside with his two boys, who watched him build the fence.

“They were beautiful boys,” Snyder said. “Bob was just laughing and happy. You could just tell he loved the kids.”

Rev. Anthony David, a pastor at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation in Atlanta, where Robert Oakley’s parents live, will host memorial services for church members Sunday and for the family later.

“The family wants people to respect their privacy,” said David, who is acting as a family spokesman.

The pastor said Robert Oakley’s parents, Godfrey and Mary Ann Oakley, have long attended the church. He declined to say whether their son is also from the area, but said the family has close ties to Atlanta.

“We’re imagining people will just be heartbroken,” David said. “We’re just holding the family in our thoughts and prayers. We’re devastated for them.”

How tragic for the children.My thoughts and prayers are with them today.

ThatCertainWoman

4/2/2009 10:06:23 AM

“When reached at her home in Atlanta, a woman related to Robert Oakley said the family hadn’t heard from authorities and declined to comment further.”

So, did DC contact this person?I certainly hope a family member didn’t find out about the deaths from a reporter trying to get information. I as a reader don’t need to know about this before the relatives.

marlasinger

4/2/2009 10:13:00 AM

I’m so sorry for those children, and grateful that they weren’t at the home when this happened.

kchaux

4/2/2009 10:42:43 AM

Did the Killer leave a note?

thinice

4/2/2009 12:25:17 PM

good for you marla. i, however, would like to know as soon as possible.

Jesus_was_a_socialist

4/2/2009 1:03:57 PM

sad…..

rbonilla

4/2/2009 1:13:58 PM

jesue , I would want to know as soon as possible also but not from a news paper seeking comment

he_b_gb@yahoo.com

4/2/2009 1:25:29 PM

Very sad. Peace to their children, and a happy home.

moresmilesplease

4/2/2009 1:28:23 PM

just another selfish woman attorney wrecking her family and causing her ex to snap.

oconnorandrew@hotmail.com

4/2/2009 1:41:39 PM

this was very likely the result of parental alienation by the mother

oconnorandrew@hotmail.com

4/2/2009 1:45:07 PM

why doesn’t she get her old law firm to sue her ex’s estate and family?

oconnorandrew@hotmail.com

4/2/2009 1:52:45 PM

marlasinger – When I read the story in the paper this morning, I wondered the exact same thing.But as I continued reading the story, it seemed to me that the reporter had been told what the identities were, but couldn’t use the source for whatever reason.I live on the next street over and was out walking my dogs when I saw the Fox News van at the end of the street and police cars blocking the other end of the street.I asked the guy in the van (not a reporter, I’m pretty sure) what was going on and he told me murder-suicide, so police were obviously talking off the record.

potbelliechef

4/2/2009 1:53:09 PM

Maybe she drove him to it? Maybe she had it coming?

oconnorandrew@hotmail.com

4/2/2009 2:00:03 PM

This kind of thing seems to happen more in Boulder than in, say, Longmont.

musicgrinder

4/2/2009 2:39:09 PM

“The couple’s children were not home at the time of the incident. They are staying with family members, and the Department of Social Services is also involved, police said.”

—–

I am really hoping the children get to stay permanently with family members (if they are found suitable) and will not be condemned to “the system.”

ThatCertainWoman

4/2/2009 3:13:06 PM

TCW – I’m with you on your last post…

InsipidPhenom

4/2/2009 3:24:26 PM

Curiouser and Curiouser…

JustSayin

4/2/2009 3:30:35 PM

How will these kids live with this?Unbelieveable.Prayers to them an their extended family.

RedCape

4/2/2009 3:38:02 PM

It was just a year agothat a man stabbed his wife to death in a house just up the street

Is there something in the water in that neighborhood?

tootalltony

4/2/2009 3:48:34 PM

That’s a heap of tragic baggage to lay on these kids. I hope they get the love and support they’ll need to carry it.

orbison

4/2/2009 4:38:25 PM

What a weak, pitiful, digusting man.The boys are better off without that loser around.

Too bad he had to take their mother too.

This is the epitome of evil.If I can’t have her, nobody will.

zedlepplin

4/2/2009 5:23:07 PM

Ummmm, yeah we know.

So-gunshot wound for her and shot gun wound for him. Correct me if I’m wrong, but does this mean that Kaitlin would have used the shot gun on her husband and then used the gun on herself? It would be pretty difficult to commit suicide with a shot gun by shooting self in head-those guns are too long. Especially if you are a woman-arms not long enough. If he was shot with the shot gun and not the gun, means Kaitlin was doing the shooting. Yes? No? Anyone? Then again, I guess Robert could have had long enough arms to shoot himself with shot gun. But with the kids still alive…I tend to think it was the woman for some reason. Maybe just because in these California cases lately, if the man is doing the shooting, he takes out the kids too. California sets the standard for so many things in this country-it all moves east. They started this crazy murder/suicide trend last year. Sadness sadness sadness all around. Poor kids. Can’t imagine doing this to your kids.

laughinghard

4/2/2009 8:51:09 PM

Also with her resigning from her job lately…not looking good…looking like she was planning something.

Unless Kaitlin was resigning to move elsewhere to take another job and Robert freaked out. But…with her not having custody of kids to begin with…I’m guessing there were some issues with mom.

laughinghard

4/2/2009 8:53:35 PM

This is indeed a tragedy, and children don’t ever really recover.The neighbors’ comments are like many comments that are spoken after a shooting, even the neighbors of serial killers think the guy was a nice guy.Rob was no serial killer, but I’ve known Katie since she was 4 years old.My daughter and she have been life-long friends.My daughter was in Katie and Rob’s wedding and Katie was to be in my daughters’ wedding this summer.Katie paid Rob plenty of support throughout the separation and divorce, they had joint custody, and she did NOT leave “soon after” the second child was born.

She had been living a very fearful married life, and finally had the courage to leave.The neighbors are quoted as saying they got the “whole story” from Rob.Believe me when I say, Mr. Jordan, that you did NOT ever get anything like the whole story. The neighbors never saw her come to the house because she didn’t feel safe there with Rob. I grieve along with both sets of parents, their children, and all friends and family.No one should have to live to see a child die, and surely not like this.Wednesday was Katie’s day to pick up her boys from their father. Since she had just been laid off less than two weeks ago, she expected to spend even more than her usual time with them.Period.

Rob loved his boys, I’m sure, but I hope the real truth of this finally comes to the surface.

jetlost

4/2/2009 9:20:58 PM

I thought she resigned from her job.As usual.. nothing is set in stone.

notronaj

4/2/2009 9:49:05 PM

Well Said Jetlost and as usual most of what the Camera is printinging is inaccurate.Jetlost’s account is truthful.

Be assured she did not resign her employment position.Katie loved her job and was forced out because her difficult divorce was impacting her job peformance – in the eyes of her employer.

Katie saw her children 4 days a week on a regular basis.The neighobors dont have the whole story and shouldnt be talking to the media.All this is tragic.

crying77

4/2/2009 10:01:31 PM

Where’s walongloop to extol the virtues of “traditional marriages” ?

… ’till Death do us Part.

Dr_Karma

4/2/2009 10:20:29 PM

The Boulder Police MUST set the record straight about what happened at the crime scene ASAP.

There is no doubt the crime scene revealed who pulled the trigger and who is the victim, and I believe the facts will show Katie was the victim.

The Daily Camera, the neighbors and the posters on this site should be ashamed for jumping to the wrong conclusion and making a horrible situation even worse for her family and friends.

Before you make any more awful comments, have a look at the picture and the accomplishments of this sweet woman who had everything to live for:

80303mom

4/2/2009 11:25:00 PM

Meth, murder and Boulder. Perfect together. The excitement is over people, we need to get back to ticketing seat belt violators and Naked Halloween demonstrators.

cgjj1@excite.com

4/3/2009 12:02:59 AM

Posted by tootalltony on April 2, 2009 at 3:48 p.m. (Suggest removal)

It was just a year ago that a man stabbed his wife to death in a house just up the street

Is there something in the water in that neighborhood?

******

No, just a lot of middle class (by boulder standards) families that stretched to buy a piece and in these times, they’re under stress. Whether she resigned from her job as the camera says or she was fired/laid off, either way, loosing a job is bound to cause a lot of stress. There were five of these cases in California last year. Whole families killing themselves. It doesn’t have anything to do with Boulder.

I don’t know what point there was in posting her picture. You can’t tell anything from a person’s picture. Ted Bundy was a good looking lawyer. Mother Theresa was a not so pretty saint. No one’s saying either way. Just speculation here.

Why all the sudden is there meth in this story cgjj1?

laughinghard

4/3/2009 12:14:10 AM

Posted by Dr_Karma on April 2, 2009 at 10:20 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Where’s walongloop to extol the virtues of “traditional marriages” ?

… ’till Death do us Part.

***********************************

Ok,I guess this is a stab at some dark humor, but it’s a bit creepy. I’ve been married a long time and love it. I don’t know who walongloop is or what his views are, but marriage doesn’t have to end in a 36 caliber divorce. This is a real problem in American (north and south)relationships. Everyone is an enemy when they break up. They don’t do this in other places. You should try being nice to your old lovers. You guys treat your exes like they’re lepors.

laughinghard

4/3/2009 12:21:41 AM

Posted by jetlost on April 2, 2009 at 9:20 p.m. (Suggest removal)

“Katie paid Rob plenty of support throughout the separation and divorce, they had joint custody, and she did NOT leave “soon after” the second child was born.

She had been living a very fearful married life, and finally had the courage to leave.The neighbors never saw her come to the house because she didn’t feel safe there with Rob.”

*********************************

OK, but if he was that bad, why did she leave her kids behind with him? She was a lawyer. Certainly she could have argued to keep her children, especially if the guy was so off his rocker he’d kill. I mean I’m glad she got out if the guy was abusing her, but one of them at least is just a wee thing…. I say we’re lucky he didn’t kill the kids too.

All I’ve got to say is be careful who you marry. Don’t listen to those judgement clouding hormones. And if you are married to someone good, tell them everyday and give them love.

laughinghard

4/3/2009 12:38:34 AM

I said previously this didn’t have anything to do with Boulder, but now I’m wondering between the Ramsey case, the guy who stabbed his wife last year and this and probably a few others I can’t think of…boulder doesn’t present itself as a very good place to raise families does it? We look good on the outside. But we’re not really doing too good are we?

laughinghard

4/3/2009 12:55:22 AM

“lepors”

No child left behind?

LOL!

Dr_Karma

4/3/2009 1:20:15 AM

80303 mom, it seems to me you are doing the same thing your condemning others of doing. Did you kideven know her?

I find several of these posts to be in poor taste. I knew Robert quite well, and I’m not going to say he wasn’t the one who pulled the trigger because I, just like all of you, don’t know for sure. Having said that, I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that he was. But I believe anyone is capable of anything if pushed far enough. Rob and I have had many long conversations about many things, including the details of his divorce, his children and his plans for the future. He loved his kids very much, and my heart goes out to them no matter what the outcome. They are both very bright and happy boys, in spite of what was going on in their parents’ marriage. I will miss my friend and pray for his kids and the families of the deceased, but I will wait to see what the investigators find before pointing fingers. So should you.

hep80212

4/3/2009 2:27:40 AM

This is preposterous. Katie and I have been friends since high school. In my opinion, she is not the sort of person who would walk into a house and shoot her ex-husband. She adored her kids and was proud of her job. I find it highly unlikely that she “resigned.” I also know that she did NOT pick up and leave after her second boy was born. Don’t know where that nonsense came from.

Anyways, Katie was a beautiful girl with an easy laugh. My heart goes out to her sweet mother and the rest of her friends and family.

gertie06

4/3/2009 5:21:27 AM

Hep,

I am sorry for this tragedy.

I am sorry that we have posters that can not see past themselves or troll for a flame war whenever they can. Peace.

mikemorford

4/3/2009 5:23:54 AM

“But…with her not having custody of kids to begin with…I’m guessing there were some issues with mom.”

“OK, but if he was that bad, why did she leave her kids behind with him? She was a lawyer. Certainly she could have argued to keep her children, especially if the guy was so off his rocker he’d kill.”

Don’t make assumptions based on shared custody. It’s almost impossible to have sole “custody” anymore. The other parent has to have been convicted of child abuse or neglect, or other serious charges, but if they haven’t actually done something already and been found guilty, you have to share the kids. If you don’t, you find yourself losing your share of the custody.

monkeys

4/3/2009 6:58:40 AM

Unfortunately,

It’s not the water in the neighborhood….

It’s the water around the whole country, and the world.

Thanks to us, the Great American, warmongers all.

meta4

4/3/2009 7:14:26 AM

“Gun Safety”

The complete absence of firearms.

meta4

4/3/2009 7:18:25 AM

What the hell is wrong with the world these days? Every day … more and more people murdering family members or random, innocent people.

Yerba

4/3/2009 8:04:30 AM

Posted by meta4 on April 3, 2009 at 7:18 a.m. (Suggest removal)

“Gun Safety”

The complete absence of firearms.

That is the most ignorent statement I have read in days even with all the junk on the Churchill case. Gun Safety is and always has been the responsible use of firearms. Do you think that becuase someone drinks and drives and it results in another persons death that we should get rid of all booze and vehicls? COme one now think about it for a second

celticman

4/3/2009 8:06:00 AM

hep80212, yes I knew Katie remotely and I am close with people who were very close to her and are hurting badly.I am also saddened for Robert’s family and friends and my heart goes out to them.

I am personally seeing the pain of Katie’s family and friends exacerbated by her good name being besmirched by the reporting and comments here, all of which could be prevented if the Boulder Police made a determination in the case.

I have heard directly from people who were close to the situation, and I believe the police should have enough information to set the record straight very soon.

Really, how difficult can it be to determine who pulled the trigger?

I fault the Daily Camera’s shoddy reporting, as evidenced above, for presenting an extremely one sided view that paints a horrible light on the life of a kind woman I believe will be shown to be the victim.

laughinghard, I posted Katie’s picture so people will see there is a human being involved here before they post their vile comments, and I’ll post it again:

The better question is why didn’t the Daily Camera include her picture or one single positive comment about Katie in the article?

Finally, I was happy to see the Denver Post did some actual reporting beyond just speaking to the blabber mouth neighbors.The article they published today is a far better representation of this tragedy than the garbage reporting by the Daily Camera:

80303mom

4/3/2009 8:14:17 AM

Katie was bullied and intimidated by her ex-spouse.It took her years to muster the courage to leave.The March 3rd incident occured becasue her ex-spouse was upset that she brought a male friend to the house to retrieve her possessions that were held from her for over a year.

The Denver Post article is disappointing in that it perputates the myth she left her postion willingly.She did not – she was fired through lack of compassion of her difficult divorce and the law firm is in spin control.

crying77

4/3/2009 8:29:21 AM

“The neighobors dont have the whole story and shouldnt be talking to the media.”Yet, somehow anonymously posting your interpretation of ‘facts’ is okay…

JustSayin

4/3/2009 9:07:13 AM

To 80303 mom

If the Boulder police made a decision now about who did what, you’d be the first person to shout that they made a “rush to judgement.”Take this time to grieve and let them do their job.

boulderlvr

4/3/2009 9:23:46 AM

Very sad & tragic, I hope the Children are placed with Family as quickly as possible.

humanbeing2

4/3/2009 9:24:35 AM

To the family and friends of the boys:Please take care of these kids.The risk of them following in their parent’s footprints is high.Children of a parent who commits suicide have a much higher risk of committing suicide themselves.Research is not able to rule out a genetic predisposition.We can’t help the parents at this point but we can watch out for the ones left behind.I wonder if it would be helpful for the children if posters did a little less raking either or both of the parents over the coals.These news stories stick around for family members.

marlasinger

4/3/2009 11:07:29 AM

Yerba: “What the hell is wrong with the world these days? Every day … more and more people murdering family members or random, innocent people”

The fallout and blowback from 8 disastrous years of Bu$h Repuglikan misrule – depression, anxiety, psychosis, despair.

The chickens have indeed come home to roost.

Dr_Karma

4/3/2009 11:08:35 AM

Dead Boulder pair’s ideal life fell apart

The Denver Post

Posted: 04/03/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT

The lives of Robert and Katelin Oakley unraveled over the past year.

They separated, then divorced. He couldn’t find a teaching job, had to stop being a stay-at-home dad and became a cabdriver. She left her job at a prestigious Denver law firm.

On Wednesday, they were found dead in their upscale Boulder home. The coroner said both were shot in the head; Robert had a shotgun wound, and Katelin had a gunshot wound.

continued:

Dr_Karma

4/3/2009 11:31:30 AM

Curious that an “out-of-state family member called Boulder police and asked officers to check on Robert Oakley and his children,” right near the time of the event.

If guns (that make killing so quick, simple and impulsive) weren’t so readily available in this country though, we’d have two fewer orphans in the world today.

AliceInBoulderland

4/3/2009 12:12:04 PM

Karma –

Seriously. You’re blaming Bush and the Republicans for this tragedy?

orbison

4/3/2009 12:39:13 PM

Where are all the libertarian to tell us how important guns are for society?

rich@richpoints.com

4/3/2009 12:53:12 PM

Some of you folks do a lot of defending just for the sake of knowing these people, or even remotely knowing these people.If you just look at the simple facts: Man dies from shotgun wound, and woman dies from gun shot wound (9 mm); then it is fairly cut and dry for the detectives.Barring the release of fingerprints, I guarantee that they are leaning towards the woman being the one who committed murder and suicide.Do you know how hard it is to shoot yourself with a shotgun?I challenge you to find 15 proven cases of suicide by a shotgun because I can find thousands with a 9 mm.

That being said, I deeply feel for all here and around Boulder, who have lost someone.We all can only hope the children are provided for.

AlwaysSonny

4/3/2009 1:34:50 PM

Posted by 80303mom on April 3, 2009 at 8:14 a.m. (Suggest removal)

*********

Don’t you think they have to remain objective until a determination is made? They are a journalists. They aren’t supposed to investigate these crimes. They just report what the police are investigating. I know the editor of the DC in particular hardly ever remains objective, but that’s another story. If Katie’s job said that she resigned for whatever reason-maybe they didn’t want to sully her name by saying she was forced to resign (or more likely theirs)-that’s what the Camera has to report.

Posting her picture just seemed like an invasion into her life. For most people reading this isn’t about Katie yet b/c most people don’t know her and we’re talking about the larger issues-all the murder/suicides in this country, domestic violence, mental health care, divorce, etc. It isn’t meant as a personal attack on Katie to speculate whether this is a murder/suicide when so much of that is going on right now.

I’m sure the Camera will come out with more about the accomplishments of Katie when the police make their final determination of what happened. But don’t be so hard on the neighbors. They see what they see. Their take on the situation has value.

laughinghard

4/3/2009 2:07:33 PM

hep80212…were you such good friends that you knew he had 2 guns?were you such good friends that you counseled him on how dangerous a situation that is for a home with children, much less a couple stressed by divorce?were you such good friends that you’ve set up a donation account for his two orphan children?maybe you should stop blogging and help out.

bouldermomma

4/3/2009 2:11:11 PM

Hep and Gertie-You guys should stop arguing with each other. I’m sure Katie and Rob were both nice people. Marriages can get really difficult and bring out the worst. Isn’t it possible that katie carried a gun for her job (I don’t know what sort of law she practiced) or carried a gun just in case because as some have said, she was afraid of her husband? And then as two people involved in a bad marriage-things just escalated out of control over some small thing and if they’ve both got guns around for whatever reason-stuff just happens. It’s possible that both these people ended up dead and yet, they were both really good people. Even if it ends up that one or the other instigated this, let’s not make one a demon. These are hard times. These people had to be under economic stress if she just lost her job. I don’t in any way advocate killing your ex, but I’m just saying, it is very possible that two very good people did not know how to work out a very bad situation.

laughinghard

4/3/2009 2:16:36 PM

Posted by lcsyzygy on April 3, 2009 at 12:12 p.m. (Suggest removal)

********************

Yeah. That’s weird. But it can be one of two things. He called someone and said he was going to do something and made a sort of “take care of my kids” comment. OR, he called someone because his wife had said she was coming over and had made some sort of threat.

It still doesn’t illuminate the situation as far as telling us who committed the crime. But it does say that someone knew that things were going to get out of control. One party knew they were going to be confronted or was going to do the confronting and was planning on having guns around. This didn’t spontaneously happen.

laughinghard

4/3/2009 2:32:11 PM

laughinghard–

“Very good people” don’t leave their children orphans.

In this situation, all we know for sure is there was one very bad person.Hard times or not, inherently good people don’t commit murder.

radiohead826

4/3/2009 2:34:14 PM

Posted by radiohead826 on April 3, 2009 at 2:34 p.m. (Suggest removal)

laughinghard–

“Very good people” don’t leave their children orphans.

In this situation, all we know for sure is there was one very bad person. Hard times or not, inherently good people don’t commit murder.

*******************

I know you’re right to a certain degree, but at the same time I’ve seen to much to know that people get put in horrible intractable situations. If “good people don’t leave their kids as orphans” were true as a blanket statement, how can you justify people in say, China who are forced to give their kids up to an orphanage or go to jail? It’s really possible to be put in an intractable situation where right and wrong are no longer guide posts you can count on.

The point is, as you can see from various friends of this family-some people knew Robert and some people knew Katie and both saw them as good people. They obviously both had good sides. But two people who are involved in an emotional situation like this-it can easily escalate out of control. And when you’re in a room and people are screaming and yelling and guns are around and they’ve got a bad history-it’s beyond whether someone is good or bad. Stuff just ends up happening. Me, I’m with you and that I would just walk away, do whatever to calm the situation so my family would be happy. But when there is a whole history of hurt involved, people get caught up in fair and not fair and you did this and not that, and well, you know how it can get. At that point, it’s just beyond who is good or bad. It’s just a big emotional mess. No one is thinking rationally.

And don’t jump about it being one person clearly being evil. They both could have brought a gun to the situation. We don’t know how many shots were fired. What if they both pulled guns at the same time?

laughinghard

4/3/2009 2:58:33 PM

AlwaysSonny”I challenge you to find 15 proven cases of suicide by a shotgun”

Not much of a challenge, Kurt Cobain being afamous example. I don’t think you considered the possibility of using a toe on the trigger.

jminer42

4/3/2009 3:19:00 PM

This has inspired me to go spread some love. I’m going to take my hot piece of lovin’ out tonight and make sure my partner knows I appreciate the life we’ve created together and bestow endless love and kisses. I hope you all do the same so I don’t have to read about any more of this sort of thing going on in our town again.

And if you see your ex-exercise kindness. Don’t let these situations escalate out of control anymore. We’re all capable of more.

laughinghard

4/3/2009 3:56:33 PM

A comment on the DP article makes me think that there was a huge financial burden on the woman.She was paying the guy child support and alimony..and she just lost her job.No excuse, but I would be willing to bet that in 90% of these kinds of cases the person paying the alimony is the one pulling the trigger…..it is indentured servitude.

moabite

4/3/2009 4:27:42 PM

There is no love in the lives of people who own Guns in any Camera stories. Be clear these are “stories” and not facts. The Camera does not deal in humanity. It’s subjects deal with objects: people are objects. Is this fictional story subjective or objective. It’s the Guns that did the killing.

At best, Boulder Police detectives need to keep their yaps shut at murder scenes, and at best the Camera needs to stop spinning yarns. They only want to sell rag and soy (ink). Ignore the facts if they’re not available. Fictions sells better.

HairTrigger

4/3/2009 6:25:35 PM

I wish these two were still alive to hunt down every single POS in Boulder…then we’d be down to just the homeless

he_b_gb@yahoo.com

4/5/2009 7:57:23 AM

@ Jminer

Whether Kurt Cobain shot himself or not is greatly debated, mainly due to the fact that it was by a shotgun and he was heavily intoxicated.Directing a shotgun at yourself is nearly impossible especially when you’re a drunk…You didn’t find 15 examples and the possibility of using a toe must be satirical, right?

The woman shot him with a shotgun and shot herself with a 9mm.Simple.

AlwaysSonny

4/5/2009 11:33:27 AM

Laughinghard,

I had to join this blog group because as a Boulder Denver Post reader I knew the first day something is being toned down here.”Two found dead in their home”, sounds like double suicide. No one minced words nor hid details of the suicide murder in Firestone the week before.At least the Post was honest, if not subtle, enough to put Thursdays follow up details of the two different guns, (your point dead-on but didn’t know women’s arms not long enough), to put the Firestone Suicide/Murder autopsy report right beside this story.And NO ONE with 3 and 6 year olds does double suicide!!!Always one sane enough parent to say, “we have babies!” Came to Daily Camera comments to see if the good people of my over-educated town were seeing the same thing.Your comments of police saying “Murder/Suicide” and neighbor seeing him happy with boys and smiling the day before, her being “layed off” by paper, then her firm saying, “she resigned”…confirmed my own intuition from day one.The same day on the front page the Post has article of economy creating untold phenomenon, Attorneys being layed off – 10,000 nation wide to be exact.This group usually untouched by financial storms, and then we see this story.We can’t imagine the beautiful attorney doing this, so leave details out that imply the “cabby” did it or double suicide.Why both papers treating this the same way?At least the post notes he was high school teacher when they met at Duke and couldn’t find work in BVSD, so was underemployed (like so many now) as cab driver.God bless these kids indeed and my heart aches at the loss and tragedy for this young father!

PayingAttention

4/6/2009 7:02:40 AM

Why are we not getting the rest of the story on this?Surely the coroner/police know what happened by now.Is it because, most likely, the woman shot first?I can guarantee if it had been the man who shot first, this would be on the front page all over again…..

ThatCertainWoman

4/6/2009 2:35:50 PM

ThatCertainWoman,

I echo your first question.A murder was committed.Just because the murderer then killed themselves is no reason for the police/newspaper to hide the facts.The murderers were quickly identified in the recent AL and NY shootings, even though they committed suicide.And if you were friends/family, wouldn’t you want the name of your friend/family cleared?

Anon123

4/6/2009 3:52:25 PM

I hope all you people who have been pointing fingers at Katelin have read the latest police report. Turns out that Mr. Nice Daddy lured her to their home to shoot her in the head. Not only that, he had the foresight to shoot her with the handgun and himself with the shotgun. It wasn’t enough to kill her; he wanted it to look like she was the murderer.

So all you folks out there who had the audacity to pass judgment on my friend, someone you didn’t ever meet, when you had no proof whatsoever…well, I’d probably get my comment removed if I finished that sentence.

Anyways, does anyone know if a fund is being set up for the boys?

gertie06