Artist Cydd West, outside his home with some of recycled artwork, is preparing to go back to his New York home after nearly 30 years in Boulder.
Cliff Grassmick

Cydd West never tried to sell his work before he recently decided to move back home to Saratoga Springs, N.Y.

Since the eccentric artist came to Boulder in 1981, most of his unique sculptures and creations — made out of recycled odds and ends — once belonged to the public.

West said the saw blades, shoes, dolls and bicycles that adorn his Goss Street condominium, “Dr. Cydd’s Museum of Time”, are a form of visual poetry — a constantly shifting stage play that uplifts spirits and heals those who see his work.

“It’s truly been delightful to see people smile as they walk by,” he said.

West usually puts his “guerrilla art” in the places he frequents, like the Folsom Street Coffee Shop and adjacent Laundromat.

“I think he’s pretty enlightened,” said Chris Warner, owner of Folsom Street Coffee Company, who displays West’s “Cosmic Crossword” and “angelic” flying coffee pots in his shop.

“He makes these amazing pieces out of what other people deem as castoffs and trash,” he said. “I’ve never seen anyone who has such a busy mind, seeing things that no one else would ever see or appreciate.”

West also made ambiance artwork in the mid 1990s for Pearl Street’s former Dot’s Diner location and the Penny Lane Coffeehouse.

“It’s been a long-term investment,” he said. “Not in terms of money, but ideals.”

The Vietnam War veteran said the ugly face of war caused him to actively repay karma to find value in his life, and he makes his spiritual art to help people he hasn’t met.

“The only thing I can do is give back like other people have given me,” he said.

After almost 30 years away from home, West said he wants to visit friends who are getting older, presenting the dilemma of leaving his art behind.

“I ended up creating this,” West said. “There would be a big emptiness if I left everything.”

West isn’t sure when he will leave for New York — two or three months, he thinks, when the weather is ideal for bicycling.

In the meantime, West is accepting bids for some of his sculptures, like the gleaming replica of the Flatirons in his front yard made from more than 80 recycled irons.

“I know what would make me come back to Boulder from New York,” West said. “It’s what made me come here in the first place — the sunshine and the weather.”

I used to not care one way or the other if another weirdo left Boulder, but now there are so few left that I don’t even recognize this place anymore.Save the freaks!

FuriousB

4/5/2009 7:44:06 AM

at first I thought this was going to be a story about Ijnacio Lopez heading back to Mexico.

bouldermeister

4/5/2009 8:18:34 AM

Don’t worry he will be replaced by a 5 story brick building with 6,000 selfish yuppie jerks.

sidd

4/5/2009 8:42:08 AM

thanx cydd for your work…art does not need explanation…those who can perceive the artist’s vision are the lucky ones…will boulder soon be buried in the “trash” your vision once valued ? new york needs you.

pro

4/5/2009 9:09:31 AM

The Boulder it was when he moved here is gone. Just like the Denver I used to know, gone. Colorado did a flip on it’s citizens, that’s how we got the likes of Owens for Gov & with him came his ilk as the way was paved for them to do with our State whatever they wanted. Talk about not paying taxes! Look at the rape happening to our Mountains & the so-called clean coal burning plants, privatization of water rights, the wonderful computer system Owens installed to destroy Health & Human Services,the closing of schools & opening of more & more private prisons.Those with money are accepted no matter how that money was obtained, while those who have not been so lucky are used until they are of no use then discarded.

humanbeing2

4/5/2009 9:44:59 AM

Bummer.Art really is the antidote to groupthink.

Scriblerus

4/5/2009 10:48:51 AM

Humanbeing2:

“The Boulder it was when he moved here is gone. Just like the Denver I used to know, gone. Colorado did a flip on it’s citizens, that’s how we got the likes of Owens for Gov & with him came his ilk as the way was paved for them to do with our State whatever they wanted. “

Interesting that Colorado was a reliable “red state” when “the Boulder it was” was and when the “Denver I used to know” was. The disappearance of whatever “it” is that was what you liked so much, has coincided with Colorado’s swing to the left…

SoldierInWarofIdeas

4/5/2009 12:11:41 PM

Without a shred of doubt, he’ll be back in less than a year.

Have a good road trip, Cydd!!

Escape

4/5/2009 12:15:06 PM

Please don’t leave, Cydd!!!

Boulder needs people like you… otherwise, Boulder wouldn’t be Boulder!

Chief Niwot’s curse will bring you back; I’m telling you!

BoulderLuv

4/5/2009 12:27:57 PM

SoldierInWarOfIdeas: whatever the political swing was in the early 80’s is not what I was referring to, more the attitude of the People. If you cannot see what the swing to the right did to this State then I don’t know what to tell you. Hey, did you read the story about Mercury mystery in Colorado Waters?

humanbeing2

4/5/2009 1:56:25 PM

Soldier — Can’t ONE story be about something other than right vs. left for you? So tiring. Go back to watching Faux News, where you’ll get nothing but the contention you crave.

And back on topic, sorry the community will be losing another eccentric.

KR

4/5/2009 6:07:21 PM

Penny Lane was my favorite.

intrepid