Skip to content

Breaking News

• Niwot High School seniors Javier Vega and Caitlin Spielman hug...

Paul Aiken

Niwot High School seniors Javier Vega and Caitlin Spielman hug during a student gathering to remember fellow student Kegan Garrison who died over the weekend. The gathering occured outside the high school on Monday morning. Photo by Paul Aiken / The Camera / May, 11, 2009.

Kegan Garrison's photo from his Facebook page.

• Niwot fullback Kegan Garrison (30) dives between Fossil Ridge's Cory...

Niwot fullback Kegan Garrison (30) dives between Fossil Ridge's Cory Castaneda (26) and Ryan Beard (7) during the game at Longmont High School in Longmont on Thursday, Sept. 25, 2008.

of

NIWOT, Colo. –

Outside of Niwot High School early Monday, dozens of students gathered around Shauna Garrison and prayed.

The freshman’s older brother, Niwot senior Kegan Garrison, committed suicide over the weekend â stunning a school preparing for finals and graduation.

“High school makes you feel like you’re invincible, and then something like this comes along and you realize you’re human,” said Niwot junior Joshua Cass, 16.

Garrison, 18, was the football team’s starting linebacker and running back and was to play in Colorado’s all-state football game June 13 in Greeley, Niwot football coach Ron Tesone said. He also was co-captain of the wrestling squad.

“We’re just scratching our heads really,” Tesone said. “He was a great football player to say the least, a great leader in the school and on the field.”

Principal Dennis Daly said Garrison had a large group of friends and was well-known and liked.

“He was an important member of the senior class,” Daly said. “This will have a dramatic effect on the student population.”

Garrison, who lived in Longmont with his mother and sister, died Saturday afternoon of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, according to the Boulder County Coroner’s Office.

Word spread fast through the student body, and friends texted friends about a final note that Garrison left on Facebook, the online social networking site.

“He wrote his last words,” said Niwot sophomore Brittany Anderson, 16. “He said that no one’s to blame, he can’t live his life anymore, he’s sorry for everyone he’s wronged in his life and goodbye.”

Niwot senior Travis Ward, 17, said he and Garrison have been best friends since third grade and were planning to room together next year at Adams State College in Alamosa. Ward said he was working at Dairy Queen on Saturday when he received a text message with the heart-breaking news.

“I hung out with the kid every day, and he never said anything at all,” Ward said Monday, choking back tears. “He’s always been the kind of guy when you’d see him, it would brighten your day. You couldn’t bring him down.”

Friends, parents and community members gathered for a candlelight vigil outside a Longmont church Saturday night, and more than 100 students gathered outside Niwot High before class Monday to pray with his sister.

Shauna Garrison, wearing her brother’s football jersey, sobbed as friends hugged her and wept.

“You’ll be OK,” one teenager told her. “Promise.”

“My brother loved you,” Shauna told one girl.

School administrators are planning to honor Kegan Garrison at the senior banquet and at graduation, although details haven’t been finalized, said Daly, the principal. The St. Vrain Valley School District dispatched a team of grief counselors to the school Monday.

“I’m sure that everyone feels the same way I do,” Daly said. “They’re searching for a reason and asking, ‘Is there more that I could have done?'”

From talking to family members and friends, Daly said, he doesn’t believe Garrison struggled with drugs or alcohol or relationships.

“But it’s a stressful time of year for kids when they’re wrapping up one step of their lives and starting a new one,” Daly said. “I think this was just life sneaking up on the young man. He was a terrific kid.”

Classes and finals at Niwot will go on as planned, but Daly said administrators will be aware that students and teachers are struggling with this loss.

“We looked to him for energy,” said sophomore Pierce vonSchlesien, 16, who helped organize Monday’s gathering. “So I think the energy will drop this week.”

Students have started two Facebook groups for Kegan: “God Bless Kegan” had more than 500 members Monday night, and “Honoring Kegan” had 109 members.

“A year ago you held me in your arms and told me that everything was okay with one of your ‘light up a room’ smiles,” one girl wrote on the God Bless Kegan page. “We miss you and love you.”

These Kids need our help.

RIP

joe_cyclist

5/11/2009 9:26:26 AM

only the good die young

getcraziesout

5/11/2009 11:03:21 AM

I am so sorry.

Escape

5/11/2009 4:07:05 PM

well said

cbuch17

5/13/2009 10:31:15 AM

Very sad.I hope he finds the peace he needs.

siggy1123@hotmail.com

5/11/2009 9:10:39 AM

How heart-breaking. Condolences to the family and all those who loved Kegan.

dludler

5/11/2009 9:20:00 AM

Condolences to Kegan’s family and friends.This is so, so sad.

daravaleriah@yahoo.com

5/11/2009 9:27:21 AM

ExCo

5/11/2009 9:41:54 AM

ExCo, go take your meds….please.

fardila@hotmail.com

5/11/2009 10:00:08 AM

What a loser.Only the weak take the easy way out.Killing yourself is the ultimate self-serving thing to do.Yeah I’d love to blow my brains out too except for the fact that it totally messes up everyone else’s life.

I guess we can be thankful that he didn’t go crazy and shoot a bunch of other people.No no news already has that story for the day.Some moron in Iraq shot 5 of his buddies for what seems like no reason.I don’t more this kids death, I pity the idiot for causing his parents and friends so much pain.

TurboPotato

5/11/2009 10:03:53 AM

No one can really know what would drive a person to suicide, except the person contemplating it.

His/her loves ones are only left behind wondering why! Living their lives with the “If only I had! maybe they would still be here.

There are many times in a persons life when self doubt can bring them to the brink. If they get past that point and move on with their lives they will realize that life does get better, but it is something they have to work on every day.

After you have stood on the edge between living and letting go. Wondering if it will get better? Hoping it will not get worse! Wishing that you knew a way past it all.

A time when you feel all alone, and wondering about the if’s.

A time when you think that no one can help, understands, or cares.

If they share their thoughts, and get them out instead of holding them in and letting them fester. There is hope.

The lucky ones are those who can look back, and say what was I thinking!

Getting help is the first step to getting healthy.

My condolences to his family. His actions are like a rock thrown into a pond. The affects of his choice affect all of those people who knew and lived him.

If he only knew how much he was loved and cherished. If he could only see what he left behind. He is with god now! Hope he has the peace he sought. In the end suicide is not the answer.

You affect the lives of those around you.

One thing that you do could save someones life,or change a person life for the better. Now it will never happen.

Suicide is a selfish act that affects everyone life that you touch. You leave behind a Tsunami of emotional devastation.

obakiwarrior

5/11/2009 10:22:20 AM

ExCo: Use of anti-depressants WOULD make sense? Do you know something about this specific incedent, that the rest of us don’t? Is this your way of “contributing” that would not be universally regarded as cold-hearted and non-PC, while still satisying your need to pile on?

If this is your way of ensuring that this is prevented in the future, your “concern” stikes me as hollow at best.

You should probably keep your thoughts to yourself.

I know what these kids and the family are feeling and it made me cry today.

inmyriver

5/11/2009 10:23:22 AM

Keegan Ill never forget chillin with you over spring break man. I wish I could have been there to stop you, so many people cared about you man.

R.I.P bro ill see you again

cbuch17

5/11/2009 10:28:29 AM

Our system missed something here! We need communication with all of our kids! It would be nice to know if he was planning on going to college! I feel so bad to have to read this kind of news!

The1

5/11/2009 11:00:57 AM

Sitting here in Limbo,

watching as the Empire goes a tumblin’.

Tears, they are a flowin’,

The Kids they are a stumblin’.

R.I.P. Kegan

Carry on, Kids.

The_Merry_Prankster

5/11/2009 11:05:26 AM

Saw Kegan on Friday night at a bonfire, was very social and seemed happy. He was going to college, he had a bright future.

cbuch17

5/11/2009 11:11:18 AM

Sorry, my freinds saw Kegan at the bonfire on friday night, they said he seemed fine.

cbuch17

5/11/2009 11:17:07 AM

My 20 year old daughter just lost a friend to an accident and I’m telling you these kids will need all the support and counseling available to them.

They are so young and ill prepared to handle the emotional ramifications of such a tragedy.

Please refrain posting ill considered and meaningless opinions here and instead offer kind and supporting words to this young man’s friends and family.

wiseone

5/11/2009 11:19:26 AM

Healing will be derived from being present with the emotions that present themselves and becoming ‘friends’ with your greatest sorrows.

Look to the birds for answers. Listen to the music. These dramas have been sung to before.

The ‘Ripple effect’ from his loss will prevent others from contemplating the same. In effect, Kegan will help others resolve their inner discord and will contribute to the wellness of others in his departure. This is all one can hope for.

Don’t lose ‘Hope’, Kids. It’s all you got.

The_Merry_Prankster

5/11/2009 11:22:05 AM

Please everyone, be kind and don’t speculate.My nephew was one of the three boys who found Kegan … they were all very good friends and are in shock.What’s needed here is compassion and sympathy.It’s a time to mourn, come together and remember, not speculate and all the other cr***.Thank you.

SickNTired

5/11/2009 11:31:06 AM

This is so sad. Condolences to all.

david@thielen.com

5/11/2009 11:40:08 AM

It is such a hard time in life. I remember being that age and being so unsure of myself.Wanting change but not wanting change, being happy where i was and knowing there was happiness in the future but being afraid all the same about all that lay ahead. Prayers, prayers, prayers to family and friends. May all of them keep the faith and live well in honor of his memory. And of course, prayers to Kegan.

RedCape

5/11/2009 11:50:35 AM

Absolutely heartbreaking! As a mother of a senior getting ready to graduate and seeming to have the world at his finger tips, it scares me that sometimes people just don’t give any indication they are having a hard time with things.. very scary and very very sad.. May God comfort all who knew this young man, especially his family and all who might be struggling with their own troubles.

mcjonid

5/11/2009 11:52:16 AM

horrible. as a parent of a pre-teen-this stuff scares me so much. I just don’t get it.

so so so sad.

getaclue

5/11/2009 11:53:23 AM

I am truly saddened by this… No one will ever know the pain and suffering he went through that drove him to this.

A resource can be found here:

“To help save lives, the book ‘Suicide the Forever Decision’, For those Thinking about Suicide and for Those who Know, Love and Counsel Them, by Paul Quinnett, Ph.D. is herewith made available in a free electronic format to anyone in the world who wishes to read it or share it with others. Electronic copying, translation and distribution is strongly encouraged.”

It’s a great book that will make you think a little before you or your friend, act. Sometimes that is all you need to start making more healthy choices.

ntoth

5/11/2009 11:56:59 AM

My sincere condolences to Kegan’s friends and family.

springerwannab

5/11/2009 12:24:37 PM

I’m in shock and I didn’t directly know him.I remeber the name from the home football games we attended.My sophmore is home sick and I’ve already spoken with him and asked him to please, please come to me if he has a dark time even if he thinks I won’t understand or won’t listen.When my senior gets home I’ll have the same talk with him.I feel so badly for Kegan’s family and his close friends as they were preparing for a joyous celebration on graduation day and now they have to say goodbye to a loved one.It’s so very sad.I’ve had some dark times in my life where suicide was strongly considered but once I thought about how it would affect my loved ones I made myself carry on & I’m so glad I did.To the teens that are closest to Kegan please hold on to the belief it will get less painful over time and do not surrender to despair yourself.You have so much to offer the world!

sufirehorse

5/11/2009 12:30:26 PM

MY HEART IS BREAKING RIGHT NOW FOR KEGAN”S FAMILY…MY SON JEFF WRESTLED WITH KEGAN…WHAT HEART THAT KID HAD…ITS ALWAYS THE KID NOBODY SUSPECTED…KEGAN’S MOTHER STUGGLED TO GIVE HER KIDS EVERYTHING THEY WANTED AND I KNOW KEGAN LOVED HER AND APPERCIATED HER…PLEASE SEND YOUR PRAYERS OUT TO THIS FAMILY…TRYING TO BLAME SOMEONE OR SOMETHING WILL NOT HELP THIS FAMILY RIGHT NOW…PRAYERS,LOVE,SUPPORT AND TIME WILL HOPEFULLY BRING SOME PEACE EVENTUALLY

LAMBERTHEAT

5/11/2009 1:01:25 PM

Why is everybody slamming ExCo?Should we or should we not (as a society) examine and investigate every possible angle of this tragedy so as to potentially avoid another such tragedy in the future??ExCo is right–it doesn’t make any sense.Wanting answers in no way diminishes the gravity of the situation and the heartbreak involved.Perhaps there will never be an answer as to why this seemingly well-adjusted young man took his life, but don’t we owe it to our children to at least try to understand??

Please don’t give me the “not the right time or place” bit; this is exactly the right time and place for these things to play out.

Condolences to all who knew and loved Kegan.

radiohead826

5/11/2009 1:20:05 PM

Don’t feel sorry for him, he committed the most selfish act imaginable.

Feel sorry for the trauma and pain his family will feel for DECADES.

Coward!

GabeMc

5/11/2009 1:27:05 PM

Did Kegan ever have a girlfriend?

GabeMc

5/11/2009 1:30:28 PM

Lay off ExCo, if he is right about meds, then maybe other kids might be spared this terrible fate.

Trust me, there is a reason he killed himself, and that reason is very important to his family I am sure.

GabeMc

5/11/2009 1:32:34 PM

LAMBERTHEAT-

Is it really necessary to YELL?

InigoMontoya

5/11/2009 1:36:02 PM

Now is not the time!Common sense should dictate this.As you say, “Perhaps there will never be an answer…”This being the case, please let things settle down for now.People are seriously, seriously hurting right now.Condolences to all and RIP Kegan.

SickNTired

5/11/2009 1:39:46 PM

SicknTired–it’s not as if I’m at the memorial service, bringing up these issues, or posting on the facebook pages.This is a news forum, wherein newsworthy items are discussed.This is not a tribute page, or any kind of memorial site.There are links to those just to the left of the article.

radiohead826

5/11/2009 1:43:23 PM

Radiohead826.Why the hurry?If you’ll read above, people are expressing their feelings and emotions.There are people here who knew/know Kegan and his family.Just please be thoughtful in this regard is all that I ask.Does any of what you’re questioning really need to be answered right now?It’s still really raw for a lot of people.Just my opinion.

SickNTired

5/11/2009 1:57:09 PM

Keagan, you were a great guy, I remember when we used to hang out all the time in elementary school, we played house all the time, I was the mom and you were the dad, and then in high school, even last week, we would just talk, I’m really gonna miss you man, thanks for always being there, R.I.P I’ll be seeing you

wolfchick

5/11/2009 2:12:26 PM

RADIOHEAD…YOUR THE ONLY ONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THESE POSTINGS…MAYBE YOU SHOULD LET PEOPLE GRIEVE RIGHT NOW…DEATH OF A LOVED ONE IS SOMETHING VERY DEEP AND PERSONAL…NO MATTER HOW IT HAPPENS…AS I SEE THESE ARE MOSTLY PARENTS THAT READ THE CAMERA…NOT STUDENTS AND FRIENDS THAT HAVE FACEBOOK ACCOUNTS!

LAMBERTHEAT

5/11/2009 2:50:08 PM

Sorry for everybody,

God bless all……….

thecondoguy1

5/11/2009 2:57:21 PM

when did he post his note…. it wasn’t on Friday night was it?

Strt56

5/11/2009 3:15:35 PM

It was about 3:15 or so Saturday afternoon.

SickNTired

5/11/2009 3:20:13 PM

Looking for answers?Sorry, there are none–aside, perhaps, from Thoreau’s observation that “Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.”

The template for this whole scenario–“So popular, seemed so happy, was looked up to, a leader”–was established years ago by Edward Arlington Robinson’s poem “Ricard Cory,” where, in the poem’s last lines, the wealthy, popular, well-liked, seemingly very happy Richard Cory,”one calm summer night, went home and put a bullet through his head.”

grandjacques

5/11/2009 4:08:59 PM

Very very sad. Our hearts go out to his parents and siblings. Grief Support After the Death of a Child: www.compassionatefriends.org

DougInBoulder

5/11/2009 4:20:29 PM

Wow, just wow.LAMBER…I never said I had a problem with these postings.

BTW, how is posting on a public news forum “VERY DEEP AND PERSONAL”?

How am I, in any way, not letting people grieve?

Again, this is not the place to memorialize this young man, it is the comments section of our local newspaper.I was simply sharing my thoughts on the subject, and defending those who were doing the same.You have your own thoughts, which you are free to post here as well.I am in no way personally involved with this tragedy; because that is the case, are you suggesting that I have no rightto even discuss the matter?How does that make sense?Most of us have very little or no connection to the majority of stories posted here–therefore we have no right to participate in discourse about them?

When did this become your personal space?Again, there are at least two more sites where it would be much more appropriate to share your memories and condolences.Of course, feel free to post them here as well, just realize that you’ll find a mixed bag here, and don’t be surprised and/or offended.

radiohead826

5/11/2009 4:43:30 PM

radio, Exco – There is obviously something missing in this equation. I think it is important to know what the motivating factor could have been, even if it was anti-depressants. There are a lot of other individuals out there that could be helped if we knew what may have caused this sudden change in heart. Then again, it could have just been something Kegan decided on his own. At this point, only he knows the answer.

The discussion you are trying to start is a good one. I believe awareness is something we could all use right now, especially if you have kids that may be in this situation. Anyone, as parents or friends, sometimes have no idea. This is a perfect example of that, and why these things SHOULD be discussed.

Discussion about what transpired is what is done in a newspaper PUBLIC thread. Those that want to leave their condolences, do so… but leave the ones that want to have a discussion out of your grieving. Don’t participate in those discussions.There are already 2 Facebook pages dedicated to his memory, where I wouldn’t be surprised if you see the same questions popping up amongst his peers.

Just MHO. My condolences to those that have felt this loss.

InsipidPhenom

5/11/2009 5:21:00 PM

Granted that this is a very sad story and has obviously left a lot of folks in shock and deep grief. That acknowledged, I agree with radiohead though that a newspaper blog is not the appropriate place to turn to for comfort, nor should it be expected to be.

A couple of sites have been set up for that purpose and for those who need the time to grieve and to share their memories, that’s a better place for you to be right now.

The newspaper printed the story for those of us who did not know this young man because we would not have found out otherwise. And the news blog *is* the appropriate place to speculate and wonder and banter about the story in an impersonal way. That’s why blogs were created with anonymity.

But that in no way implies disrespect to you. After some time, you will be ready to possibly join the discussion too, as it is a worthy goal to understand why someone would do this and hence try to prevent a future tragedy like this.

So please monitor your feelings and decide what you’re up for and pick the appropriate site to visit. Grieving is a very personal process and everyone’s got their own timeline and way to go about it. Just because someone else isn’t feeling exactly the way you are, exactly when you are, does not mean they are disrespecting your feelings and not grieving in their own way. Some can talk about this right now, and some can’t. Appropriate avenues for expression are available to all – choose wisely and understand that others have can have different feelings than yours without being disrespectful.

AliceInBoulderland

5/11/2009 5:58:51 PM

this is my best friends cousin.. i cannot begin to explain the devistation when she told me.. jennifer, ive very sorry to hear about your loss. and to kegans family.. im very sorry also. he seemed like an amazing person, and i dont even think amazing could explain how he was..

boobear407

5/11/2009 8:17:13 PM

Hey Haters!

Given the glowing facts of his life presented by the DC, asking if anti-depressants were involved is a legitimate question.

Remember Eldora shooter Derik A. Bonestroo? That’s right, haters. He went off his meds shortly before shooting General Manager Brian Mahon to death. The withdrawal effects of some anti-depressants are often worse than the original symptoms they were designed to suppress.

ExCo

5/11/2009 10:05:34 PM

Niwot HS Principal Dennis Daly: “I’m sure that everyone feels the same way I do, they’re searching for a reason . . .”

Yeah, haters, and I suggested one possible reason for the suicide, but in your eyes responding to questions that might prevent similar tragedies in the future is “cold-hearted,” “non-PC,” “hollow,” and makes me an “attention wh0re,” “Idiot,” and “Jerk.” Peace and love to you too.

I’m sure Kegan would approve of all the venom and hatred you are spewing in his name at this time.

ExCo

5/11/2009 10:26:29 PM

There are a lot of emotions surrounding this tragedy and sadly there has been an unfotunate turn with harsh attacking words between a few users.Come on people a little civilty please!Follow the path that is right for you and please avoid attacking others or being spiteful.A lack of empathy and patience will only ad to the hurt.As another poster remarked everyone grieves differently, try to repsect that fact and in turn each other.

My heartfelt condolences to Kegan’s family and close friends.

sufirehorse

5/11/2009 10:45:57 PM

ExCo – I agree with you and the others, that this is a reasonable venue to discuss the issues surrounding the challenges that are faced with the uses and potential abuses associated withAnti-Depressants and prescription medications within our Kid populations and amongst many Adults.

A critical and rigourous look needs to be made into these challenges.

The_Merry_Prankster

5/12/2009 6:28:10 AM

“Posted by ExCo on May 11, 2009 at 9:41 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I hope the DC will investigate to see if anti-depressant medication played a role. Otherwise, given these facts this tragedy doesn’t make any sense at all.”

Nice. Are you taking the “They could make a lot of money off this” or “I’m an attention wh0re” route with this story??

Idiot.

Always sad to see one this young go well before his time. My cousin knows this kid and spoke highly of him.

Go easy, man.

StalinsBooger

5/11/2009 10:37:31 AM

ExCo – you are a jerk. In the first place, why would DC do any investigating?Secondly, who are you to add to the grief and unavoidable guilt his survivors are dealing with? Suicide affects more the just the victim.Survivors deal with guilt and second-guessing their words, actions, etc.They certainly don’t need you adding to their burden.Unless you know whereof you speak, and there’s no indication that you do, you should just keep it to yourself.

While I didn’t know Kegan or his family, reading this story brought me to tears.I have kids of my own and cannot imagine losing one of them in any way.My deepest condolences to his family and his friends.

hippiechild68

5/11/2009 12:42:00 PM

ExCo- I also agree with you, and this is a venue in which to open eyes about the dangers of the so-called legal drugs.There is a body of empirical evidence in research that shows this to be true.I do not want to begin to speculate as to what pushed and tormented Kegan into this position, but I can say one thing that I KNOW to be true,look at the research on nutrient defiencies and thier affects on the brain and body…look at toxicity.

Shame on those that keep the truth at bay.

May God Bless his soul and his families understanding.

vonschlesien

5/12/2009 7:29:00 AM

I have no idea what was in Kegan’s head that made him so miserable, but I can offer my own experience. I was very similar to the descriptions of Kegan: good student, involved in lots of activities, popular, always happy and trying to cheer people up, going to college. I know many people don’t relate to this, but I loved high school. I felt at home there, loved, happy to be with all my friends everyday. I dreaded graduation. My friends were spreading out, there was no way to be with them all at the same time ever again. The things I was involved in in high school were not things I would continue doing afterward. (Who has flag corps, for example?) High school was certain: you study for your classes. College involved forever decisions: what do I want to be? I didn’t have the answer. My life was filled with promise, but I felt the most horrible I had ever felt. I know how bad this sounds, like the popular kid lost her world, but I really want to offer this possibility: that not every student is looking forward to graduation. For some, it feels like a gigantic loss of something precious that they will never have again.

monkeys

5/12/2009 7:34:14 AM

Heartbreaking.RIP, young man.

blogomatic@m2i2.com

5/12/2009 7:43:45 AM

“ExCo- I also agree with you, and this is a venue in which to open eyes about the dangers of the so-called legal drugs.”

Why?Drugs were never mentioned; don’t speculate.This is how ugly rumors get started and hurt innocent people.This is a story about the very tragic loss of a sweet young life.That’s it.Simple.I would love to get sarcastic and flip on some of you about other possible scenarios, but again this is not the time nor the place and would be very disrespectful to the memory of Kegan, his family and his friends.There will be time later to find the answers, if there are any answers known to anyone but Kegan.

SickNTired

5/12/2009 8:44:35 AM

Monkeysâ

That makes sense to me. We don’t know what happened to Kegan, but your story rings true. Did you have parents and other adults you could talk to about it? Did you try God?

With best regards,

Jim

jiminboulder

5/12/2009 8:59:25 AM

“this is not the time nor the place”

Actually, this is exactly the time and the place. This bulletin board is for the discussion of articles and the issues they raise, not just for people “grieving” online. If speculation was outlawed on these bulletin boards, 3/4 of the posts would be taken down.

When there is a suicide, there is usually an autopsy. Autopsy results may provide more information to solve the mystery as to why someone like Kegan, with so much going for him, would kill himself.

If you need to grieve and share your feelings with your friends about Kegan’s suicide, don’t do it on some online bulletin board. Do it in person. It will mean a lot more.

ExCo

5/12/2009 10:14:20 AM

“Ward said he was working at Dairy Queen on Saturday when he received a text message with the heart-breaking news.”

—–

A text message?!Pure class.They couldn’t at least pick up the phone?Wait till the kid was off his shift slinging ice cream?I don’t think I could forgive someone for sending me a TEXT MESSAGE that my best friend was dead.

HowYouLikeMeNow

5/12/2009 10:27:21 AM

“Actually, this is exactly the time and the place. This bulletin board is for the discussion of articles and the issues they raise, not just for people “grieving” online.”

ExCo, what don’t you get?There are no issues to discuss yet.Do you enjoy fabricating and speculating?

“Autopsy results may provide more information to solve the mystery..””May” being the operative word.Do you know something everyone else doesn’t?

SickNTired

5/12/2009 10:30:53 AM

SicknTIred

Indeed there most certainly is a very important issue to discuss–the suicide of a seemingly well-adjusted young man with apparent great promise for the future.Even if it turns out that he was on no prescription medications whatsoever, don’t you think we should ALWAYS take EVERY opportunity to bring the issue of teen suicide–its potential causes, methods of prevention, etc.–into the spotlight?There will always be some degree of speculation, because in the instance of suicide, the only one with concrete answers is gone.

As for fabrication, what exactly is ExCo fabricating?

If you don’t want to contribute to this discussion, don’t.Just don’t tell others what they can and cannot discuss in a public forum (you seem to have a difficult time grasping that one).The issues put forth are all relevant, and are in no way disrespectful to anyone.

radiohead826

5/12/2009 11:07:48 AM

ExCo, Radio- If your real name being visible was a requirement of posting here, would you still post what you did?…….Didn’t think so…..

inmyriver

5/12/2009 11:28:25 AM

Radio, no where in the article are depression or drugs mentioned.ExCo was one of the first posters and brought this up.My position is why speculate until we find out more information?I’m not telling anyone what to post, I’m just saying be respectful (or at least try to).This article is not about “teen suicide.”It is, as you say, the suicide of a seemingly well-adjusted young man with apparent great promise for the future.I would hope we could all leave it at that.Just my humble opinion.

SickNTired

5/12/2009 11:29:06 AM

If the article is not about teen suicide (um, was he not a teenager? did he not commit suicide?) what then is it about?

I’m sorry, I care too much about the subject, as I have a child nearing the teen years as well, to just “leave it at that.”

We’re not the only ones speculating:

inmyriver:I would most definitely say these things out loud to others in the appropriate environment, as I am in no way ashamed of my opinion.However, it would be foolish of me to post personal and identifying information here.Certainly you can understand that.

radiohead826

5/12/2009 12:35:23 PM

I am posting under my real name; I have not posted under any other pseudonym.

First, I found this loss of life shocking, and I offer sincere sympathy to the family, fully understanding the extreme trauma this has on their lives.I understand it because I lost a son to suidice under similar circumstances: a bright light in many lives, just finished his first year of college and was looking forward to the future…and with no warning, went off the deep end and ended his life.We searched desperately for answers, and found a bottle of Prozac from an online internet pharmacy.Seven weeks earlier, for whatever reason, he had procured Prozac on the internet, a drug which carries a FDA-mandated black-box warning for its risk of enhancing suicidiality in adolescents. The prescription was written in response to a 12-question online form, without diagnosis or warning, and with no concern for the risks.

To try to protect young people against the dangers of internet drugs obtained without proper diagnosis, I have engaged in legal battles over a period of years to hold those who provided my son with prozac accountable.This has been a painful process in which I am often accused of “blaming others for my own failures”, etc., but one I felt was necessary; if it saves one life, it is worth it.

Suicide is the leading medical cause of loss of life of adolescents.Each is a tragedy in which one precious life is lost, and many more are devastated.It needs to be confronted compassionately, but openly.

Again, I am sorry for the loss of life, and the devestation of family and friends; I hope this post is not taken in any way to suggest I am insensitive.I hope that when the initial wave of grief subsides, something can be done to memorialize this individual–possibly the community could contribute and endow a scholarship fund in his name, or do something of the family’s wishes, so that the memory of such a bright light never fades.

dave_mckay@yahoo.com

5/12/2009 1:05:05 PM

I wish people would stop using this for a discussion board about things unrelated to Kegan, he was my freind and I think its pretty insensitive for you guys to comment on any thing other than him. I am still dealing with the loss of a freind and it sucks to come on here and see all this, give us some freaking time!

cbuch17

5/12/2009 1:36:20 PM

last night, when I was trying to sleep, I realized how much this bothered me, and though I live in Niwot, I did not know Kegan. It is just very, very sad. May those who loved him find peace in their hearts again soon.

t.pull@hotmail.com

5/12/2009 2:03:14 PM

NICE…. THE LIBERAL MODS ON THIS SITE ARE A WASTE OF OXYGEN!

You are nothing more then a typical BS artist! A post doesn’t fit into your little box of what you call life, so you pull it.

Typical and pathetic!

StalinsBooger

5/12/2009 2:55:13 PM

Keegan was an amazing kid and I was blessed to have known him and gone to school with him. He wasn’t on any anti-depressants, this will never make sense to anyone who knew him. People need to stop being insensitive, there was no exact reason as to why this happened. I loved him as a good friend and no matter what he will always stay that way. He is now flying with the angels. Love you with all my heart KK, I’ll always remember you.

ABR

5/12/2009 3:06:03 PM

That wacko church drove him to this! They should be dis-banded! They and there connection to focus on other families are the cause of this. They make me sick with all the crap they put on our kids! Shame on you!

The1

5/12/2009 6:46:52 PM

Don’t come online to grieve, do that in the real world.

GabeMc

5/12/2009 8:05:49 PM

Hey Mr. “inmyriver!” That’s your real name right? Hypocrite.

And looky here “The1” is now speculating if it was Kegan’s church that drove him to it. Go on haters, why don’t you crucify The1 now?

Anything related to teen suicide is appropriate for discussion here. Sorry, haters.

ExCo

5/12/2009 9:17:06 PM

Hey everyone.

I’m using my friends account to post this. This place isn’t somewhere to critique someone for their decisions. It’s for posting good things and good wishes to the family and the students here. We, being the Niwot High School body DO NOT appreciate the things being said here. All of loved and STILL love KK, Kegan, KG, and whatver else we xhose to call our friend. What he did was tragic and unfortunatly for all of us he chose a permenant solution to a temporary problem. We all could’ve helped him but he chose not to turn to us. So for all of you who didn’t know him, go away. That’s all I ask.

I LOVE YOU KK. I MISS YOU.

ABR

5/13/2009 9:30:08 AM

ABR’s friend – Wrong. The memorial pages are for those things. In all due respect, go there to read nice things. That’s what THEY are for. Newspapers are to deliver news and bring AWARENESS.

InsipidPhenom

5/13/2009 4:29:21 PM

ExCo, don’t validate their innane comments by responding to them.

Intelligent people get your point, and as far as the idiots who do not, there is nothing you could say to them anyway.

Ignore morons, it’s a great rule of thumb.

GabeMc

5/13/2009 4:42:14 PM

To all Niwot High School students reading this site: There are no words to describe the depth of sympathy that we have for each and every one of you during this time of need. I am so sorry for your loss. I have seen several of you around the school and out in the community over the last couple of days and it is so obvious as to how much you are hurting inside due to the loss of Keegen. It is hard to understand why this happened and many of you are living with the guilt of not being there to help. I wish that there was something that I could say or do to make each and everyone of you feel better. As you work through your healing process, please remember that each and everyone of you are great kids and all possess individual talents. As parents, our hearts go out to you and we want to be there to provide that smile or hug that you might need to get through the day. Take one day at a time and focus on the positive memories. Keegen will live in your hearts forever!

For the rest of you posting comments that are not conducive to healing: My challenge to you- come out from behind your computer screen and provide support. There are times when saying nothing at all is more beneficial than flapping your mouth about something that you know absolutely nothing about.

NiwotHighParent

5/13/2009 5:15:52 PM

Part 1 of2

This is not speculation about whether Kegan was prescribed anti-depression medication.This is an opportunity to educate.There is a massive problem of psychotropic medication causing suicide and homicide. While psychiatric problems are real, drugs are a questionable solution.

In October 2004, the FDA added a black box warning about an increased risk of suicide in children and adolescents after a review of data showed a doubling of the risk of suicide associated with the drugs. However, In December 2006, the FDA’s Psychopharmacologic Drugs Advisory Committee held a public hearing to review the suicide data on adults and recommended that the black box warning to be extended to them as well.

Unfortunately, it has been discovered that doctors encourage people to ignore these warnings and, as would be expected, the manufacturer of these drugs deny the dangers altogether.

Recent, tragic events of the last few years have brought to light something that is as great a threat as suicide. It is homicide – in the form of school shootings and the killing of close family members and friends.

In September 2005, following confirmation that Red Lake Indian Reservation school shooter, Jeff Weise, was under the influence of the antidepressant Prozac, the National Foundation of Women Legislators, together with American Indian tribal leaders, called for a Congressional investigation into the correlation between psychiatric drug use and school massacres. Congress has yet to investigate the role of psychiatric drugs relating to school shootings despite international drug regulators warning these drugs can cause mania, psychosis, hallucinations, suicide and homicidal ideation.

At least eight of the recent school shooters, like those at Columbine, were under the influence of such drugs. According to media reports, investigators working on the Virginia Tech school shootings found that Cho Seung-Hui was taking drugs for “depression.”

Part of the problem may be the disconnect with reality that these drugs sometimes reportedly cause the acts of violence. In another study of the links between antidepressants and violence, a 12-year-old boy who killed his grandparents while he was on a course of antidepressants said that the whole incident seemed like a dream, and he was unsure whether or not it had really happened.

(continuedâ ¦)

JGL

5/13/2009 11:37:10 PM

Part 2 of 2

The Physicians’ Desk Reference lists the following adverse reactions to antidepressants among a host of other physical and neuropsychiatric effects: manic reaction (mania), emotional liability (or instability), abnormal thinking, alcohol abuse, hallucinations, hostility, lack of emotion, paranoid reaction, amnesia, confusion, agitation, delirium, delusions, hysteria, psychosis, sleep disorders, abnormal dreams, and discontinuation (withdrawal) syndrome. Adverse reactions are especially likely when starting or discontinuing the drug, increasing or lowering the dose or when switching from one SSRI to another SSRI. Adverse reactions are often diagnosed as bipolar disorder when the symptoms could be entirely iatrogenic (treatment induced).Withdrawal from any of these medications can also cause severe neuropsychiatric and physical symptoms.

In addition to the adverse reactions listed in the Physicians’ Desk Reference, the FDA published a Public Health Advisory on March 22, 2004 which states (in part): “Anxiety, agitation, panic attacks, insomnia, irritability, hostility, impulsivity, akathisia (severe restlessness), hypomania, and mania have been reported in adult and pediatric patients being treated with antidepressants for major depressive disorder as well as for other indications, both psychiatric and nonpsychiatric.”

The most shocking part of the psychiatric medical model is that prominent psychiatrist, Robert Spitzer M.D., one of the doctors who wrote the Diagnosis and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), admits that psychiatric diagnoses (depression, hyperactivity, ADHD, etc.) are not based on science!

Anxiety, panic, learning disorders, ADHD, and depression are very real, painful conditions to the unfortunate children and adults suffering from them. However, these conditions, in most cases, are symptoms of underlying health problems brought on by specific causes and circumstance. The answer is not dangerous and unscientific diagnosis and drugs.There are real, safe solutions that lie outside of these deadly medications. Solutions that get to the underlying, complex cause of the problem and do not simply attempt to chemically alter the mind to cover them up.

Maybe these drugs were not the case for Kegan, but maybe there is someone out there – maybe someone you know – who could be headed in a destructive direction.Who will be courageous enough to tell them this story?Don’t expect to hear it on Oprah or any other media outlet – not while the advertising dollars are coming in from the pharmaceutical companies.The truth has to come from you.

Whose life will you save today?

JGL