DENVER (AP) â About 100 dogs that authorities say were rescued from a puppy mill in rural Arkansas have arrived in Colorado.

A volunteer pilot flew the first 15 to the Centennial airport Wednesday afternoon. The rest arrived Wednesday night.

The dogs have been taken to the Denver Dumb Friends League, which hopes to adopt them out. The Larimer Humane Society, the Humane Society of Pikes Peak Region and the Humane Society of Boulder Valley also plan to help.

The dogs were among nearly 350 that were removed from an alleged puppy mill on an 82-acre property in western Arkansas, near the town of Paris. Humane Society officials said the dogs were found crowded together in small cages.

The Denver Dumb Friends League says most of the dogs are small breeds, including Yorkshire terriers, Pomeranians and poodles.

___

On the Net:

Denver Dumb Friends League, www.ddfl.org

What is it about Colorado and rescue dogs?Are we just suckers?We got a dog from a rescue and she was from Missouri.A coworker just got a dog from a rescue and that dog was from out of state.I was talking to someone from the place we got our dog and they said they bring dogs in by the truckload to Colorado.

bobmobber@hotmail.com

3/26/2009 6:53:09 AM

bobmobber, we get lots of rescue dogs because we are one of the states whose residents take spaying and neutering seriously. We don’t have a lot of dogs in shelters, compared to other states. We take care of our animals and as a result the supply is closer to the demand. Other areas of the U.S. euthanize a high percentage of their homeless animals, because there seems to be no end in sight and not enough homes for them.

monkeys

3/26/2009 8:30:44 AM

rescuing dogs is great and such but I do find it annoying how many people have dogs in Boulder and take them to every single place they go, including the hiking trails without leashes and leave their bags of poop all over the trail. Some of us would prefer not to have someone’s dog come up and greet us, jumping all over ya. Not all of us are into dogs as much as the dog owner.

theIrishMan

3/26/2009 8:40:23 AM

Puppy mills are terrible. I hope the dogs find good homes.

Lucky_09_01_2006

3/26/2009 8:43:42 AM

Great just what Boulder needs more dogs.

sidd

3/26/2009 8:49:34 AM

I’m glad dogs are so welcome here – I honestly prefer my dogs to most of the people out there.

I would address my fellow dog-owners who don’t pick up their dogs’ poop, or leave the bags along the trail.It’s not good for anyone:It’s unsanitary, uhhealthy for both dogs and humans (not to mention any local wildlife), it’s unsightly, and it gives people who don’t like dogs yet another reason to gripe and carry on about how awful dogs are.

So practice a little basic good citizenship, y’all.It only takes about 30 seconds to pick up the poo, and everybody’s happy.And it doesn’t weigh so much you can’t take it with you, for goodness’ sake!Carry a small plastic lined stuff bag with a belt clip that you can stick your poo bags in ’til you can get to a proper waste recepticle if you need your hands free for something else.

If we all thought of others just a little, this world would be a much better place.

Just my two cents.

daravaleriah@yahoo.com

3/26/2009 9:58:10 AM

Yeah! More dogs. I love dogs. Dogs dogs dogs. More dogs.

I guess in the short term this is not good, but long term this is wonderful to get them out of the mills and prevent more unwanted dogs being born and dumped.

Everyone thinks the Amish are so sweet and loving peaceful living close to the land…worst puppy mill owners ever! Abuse the poor things. Keep them in dark cages without food and heat. Legs get infected and they cut them off and just keep breeding them until all is left is a torso and one leg and genitals to keep getting preggers. Horrible horrible people.

I love my dog and one of those people that take him everywhere. But he isn’t off leash and I pick up the poop. He was so badly abused he freaks out when I leave him alone. But he’s really really well behaved. Never had a problem with him in public.

p.s. I’m really suspect of people who don’t like dogs. Every one I’ve known that doesn’t had serious mental issues. And if you dont’ like dogs-dont move to France. Dogs are everywhere there. Even in cafes.

Good luck to the doggies. Colorado is the best place for dogs-boulder especially. I hope they find good homes and finally have a good life here.

Flyonthewall

3/27/2009 12:15:57 AM

I adopted a dog from the boulder shelter years ago, she was a very nice little female poodle mix and very quiet. She was not fixed so they fixed her before I could have her. Her teeth were almost all gone, her utrertis (sp)was totally shot and vet said she was about 12 and had almost 15 plus litters in his opionion. She was a very nice dog but that is why the people who gave her up did that, because she couldn’t have any more puppy mill litter. I am glad I got her but I wish I could have gotten her sooner so she wouldn’t of had to have so many litters

coolpooh