Drivers and passers-by in the area of Valmont Road and Folsom Street today might see dozens of uniformed SWAT officers breaching doors and carrying weapons — but don’t fret, it’s only a training exercise.

SWAT officers from the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office and the Boulder Police Department are conducting training exercises from 7:30 a.m. to 5:50 p.m. at a north Boulder mobile home park, 2637 Valmont Road.

The mobile home community is being torn down and the owners agreed to make it available to law enforcement for some hands-on training.

Small explosive charges will be used on some of the trailers as part of the training, according to Boulder police.

There will be about 60 tactical officers in uniform, some civilians playing different roles and various support vehicles at the site all day.

Any weapons used in the training won’t be loaded with real ammunition, police said.

And what is replacing this mobile home park?

thesurfrider

3/25/2009 8:20:11 AM

kellie@mrks.org

3/25/2009 8:20:23 AM

Why is this park being torn down?And where are all the residents going to live?I know it was old but where are these people supposed to go?

Teledude

3/25/2009 8:21:31 AM

Good place to practice since the most likely place the Swat team will be called to is a mobile home park.

marcpapp@hotmail.com

3/25/2009 8:31:24 AM

A swat team practicing in a mobile home park is a lot like a baseball team practicing on a baseball field…

broheimerdinger

3/25/2009 8:32:13 AM

It has been vacant for some time and fenced off.Whoever lived there is already gone.

I do not recall this being on any city agenda recently.Not sure what is going on there.

thesurfrider

3/25/2009 8:34:29 AM

How many mobile homes would a 308. bullet go through?

I would bet at least 4-5. lol

sidd

3/25/2009 8:35:27 AM

Here is the story on the park’s closing. It ran in 2007. http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2007/jul/22/homes-to-replace-mobile-manor-trailers/

-Jennifer Falor

online editor

jenfalor

3/25/2009 8:53:22 AM

The plans for the new neighborhood are here – http://www.coburndevelopment.com/projects/61

Here’s the Boulder Housing Authority page – http://www.boulderhousing.org/BMM/bmm.html

heather@mann.com.au

3/25/2009 9:09:10 AM

prariedogn Go back to your double wide and calm down!LOL

The real tragedy here is that the SWAT only gets real training once a year.These are supposed to be the best tactical officers on the force.How can they be up to speed with their piss poor training schedule?Answer – They can’t!

BiggieSmalls

3/25/2009 10:44:31 AM

“The real tragedy here..” Tragedy? Are you sure? I don’t know if I would refer to this situation as “tragic”.

Sounds like overkill to me.

rainwater79

3/25/2009 10:59:52 AM

rainwater79 These idiots will have high powered weapons.I, for one, would like to know that they know what they are doing.They don’t.How do I know?I was in 3rd Ranger Battalion and taught at Ranger School.You have to do this kind of training once a month, at a minimum, to stay sharp.Nothing scares me more than a under trained cop with a high powered rifle.

BiggieSmalls

3/25/2009 11:07:06 AM

thanks Jen.

thesurfrider

3/25/2009 11:07:47 AM

Good point Biggie. I guess an under trained cop could very much become part of or cause a tragedy to occur.

rainwater79

3/25/2009 11:17:47 AM

Kellie: You are paranoid.

Biggie: You are ignorant, both of these SWAT Teams practice multiple times a month. Get your facts straight.

If you need proof as to the ability of any of these highly skilled officers, then one needs to look no further than the Eldora incident several weeks back.

Now, go back to tending your hydroponics operation, you are safe for today.

brinkleys_bud

3/25/2009 11:55:25 AM

Clam down prariedogn this is a 30 year old trailer park it is past it life span.

Your attachment to disposable stuff is unhealthy.

Let me guess your yard is probably full dead kitchen appliances and your shed is probably full of non working T.V.s

sidd

3/25/2009 12:35:41 PM

Hats off to the DC for letting everyone know when it’s a perfect time to rob a bank on the other side of town.

angrynative

3/25/2009 12:51:41 PM

It would be more appropriate to conduct this exercise in Longmont.

wilson

3/25/2009 2:12:10 PM

Brinkley– not paranoid, just *annoyed*.It was so loud it shook the house, and I have no idea whose helicopter it was or why they felt the need to fly around at 4am at very low altitude over a residential neighborhood. I wasn’t the only one on our street woken up by it, either.

kellie@mrks.org

3/25/2009 2:19:30 PM

Kellie: while I understand your annoyance, this occurred Monday morning, not today, and SWAT is TRAINING, unlikely to use a helicopter, as there is not a single helicopter employed by any police entity in this county. Most likely a medical chopper…

brinkleys_bud

3/25/2009 3:05:02 PM

Thanks, brinkleys_bud (sorry I got that wrong) for the info.I know it was a different date, but that didn’t mean it could not have somehow been related, and not all of us are up to speed on what resources are or are not available to city and county law enforcement agencies. (Don’t think it was FFL though– my neighbor, ex-military, thought it was a double-rotor model.)

kellie@mrks.org

3/25/2009 3:44:02 PM

Just so you negative cop haters know…these men and women train OFTEN and they dedicate their lives (yes, all day every day they are cops.They don’t get to stop at 5pm) to being ready to protect those who are in trouble.This was an excellent opportunity for training, so of course they took it!Next time you feel like calling the SWAT team “idiots” take a look in the mirror and ask yourself what special weapons and tactics skills you have trained for and if you have ever risked your life to save someone’s life!I will bet the answer is “no, because actually I am the idiot.”

KonaDog1

3/25/2009 4:25:59 PM

Posted by KonaDog1-

“Next time you feel like calling the SWAT team “idiots” take a look in the mirror and ask yourself what special weapons and tactics skills you have trained for”

_________________

KonaDog1 are you from Longmont?

sidd

3/25/2009 4:46:39 PM

😉

KonaDog1

3/25/2009 4:49:00 PM

nope

KonaDog1

3/25/2009 4:52:16 PM

Posted by kellie on March 25, 2009 at 8:20 a.m. (Suggest removal)

“I wonder if it was something related to this that explains the incredibly LOUD helicopter(s?) hovering over the Palo Park neighborhood about four in the morning on Monday?”

Posted by brinkleys_bud on March 25, 2009 at 3:05 p.m. (Suggest removal)

“Kellie: while I understand your annoyance, this occurred Monday morning, not today..”

Kellie, you were absolutely right with your date. It was brinkleys that was misinformed. Please re-read your own posts before underestimating yourself.

By the way brinkley, how do you know about this anyway?

rainwater79

3/25/2009 9:02:10 PM

BiggieSmalls: so what ur saying is u have a small penis, and you went into the army and did all the “special” things to compensate for it? I think that is what ur screen name is saying, right?

studmuffin

3/26/2009 2:45:56 AM

hey broplayswithdinger,skiddmark,and marcpapsmear,why don’t you a-h#les go take a flying leap. I can only hope that you wind up in the street without the benefit of a “trailer” or a roof over your

IGNORANT ARSES! I also wonder how many of your fat,lazy heads a 308. would go through? Your EXTREMELY FEEBLE AND LAME attempts to extract humor at the expense of real families disgusts me.

prariedogn