So the university’s leaders plan to overhaul CU’s “diversity policies.”

Has the recent Supreme Court decision outlawing the unfair practice of affirmative action (New Haven firefighters case) aroused the university’s leaders from their decades-long disregard of the plain meaning of both Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, not to mention the color-blind requirement of our national Constitution’s Equal Protection Clause?

Or maybe the public’s voting to outlaw racial and ethnic preferences in state universities in recent years in California, Washington, Michigan and Nebraska awakened them?

By whatever means, the sooner they wake up the better for all of us, and especially for students, faculty and staff on CU campuses.

In its athletic programs, all students compete on a level playing field. May the best man or woman win. It’s as simple as that.

In the NBA, I understand that around 85 percent of the basketball players are black-skinned. That leaves whites with, say, 15 percent of the players. They are proud to have won their positions on a level, race-free playing field.

And the diversity achieved on the athletic field is natural and real, not false and at the expense of anybody else.

I suggest that the university leaders mandate that all, repeat all, students, faculty and staff at CU-Boulder and its other campuses be treated as equals — period.

Yes, it’s that simple. And the diversity will be a genuine, not a false “diversity” based on skin color and population quotas.

Charles L. King


blog comments powered by Disqus