From left, the Veritas ticket s Sanket Merchant, Nicole McAllister and Hunter Barnett and Empower s Will Taylor, Allison Foley and Peter Swanson.
Stephen Swofford

After an uncontested race last spring, next week’s student government elections at the University of Colorado will be the icing on the cake as the current administration says goodbye.

Voter turnout is expected to be higher than in years past next week following the passage of several bills throughout the semester and an extreme effort by CU Student Union members to improve awareness.

Vote!

The University of Colorado’s student elections run from 12:01 a.m. Monday through 8 p.m. April 9. Students may vote at vote.colorado.edu.

As some of UCSU’s current members prepare to flee the nest, others are just getting started. Two current members of UCSU — Will Taylor and Hunter Barnett — have rallied 32 student candidates to run for office as either a member of the Empower or Veritas tickets, respectively.

And with a total of 38 candidates, including 4 independents, vying for 17 open seats, the competition continues to flare as the polls prepare to open just after midnight Monday.

Students also will be asked their opinion on whether UCSU should change its name to CU Student Government.

So get to know your candidates before the election begins as they explain below their positions on the controversial topics that will have to be addressed by the next administration.

TRI-EXECUTIVE

Will Taylor (President)

Age: 22

Year: Senior

Major: Political science, English and economics

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? Yes, I am in my second term as Chair of Representative Council

Allison Foley

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major: Psychology and media studies

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? No

Peter Swanson

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major: Advertising

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

Our No. 1 goal is to keep college affordable by lobbying the state and federal governments for more higher education funding and by preventing student fee increases from exceeding the standard rate of inflation. One of CU’s most alluring features is its affordability and ability to provide a stellar education at a reasonable tuition price and we hope to continue that reputation.

Question 2: What’s one thing you would change about the current budget or fund disbursement and how would it benefit students?

Upon election, we intend to find wasteful or unnecessary expenditures within the budget and move those funds toward more productive programs. We hope that through critical analyses of the current 36.3 million dollar budget, we can exploit overlooked efficiencies within UCSU in order to simultaneously keep student fees low and increase the quality of the programs that student fees provide.

Question 3: Do you support tuition flexibility — the ability for CU to set its own rates — and why or why not?

We support tuition flexibility but only as long as the legislative process is accompanied by strong student and student government input. We are optimistically cautious about the tuition flexibility because we fear dramatic increases in tuition but ultimately feel that the quality of our education at CU will begin to suffer without some means of mitigating the state budget cuts to higher education.

Question 4: How do you think the new president position will change the effectiveness of the tri-exec positions?

There were two main problems with the tri-executive model. One was the confusion surrounding the model and the inability of students to recognize the individuals heading the executive branch of UCSU. Another issue was the lack of a distinct figurehead. Without a clear individual to head the executive branch, members of the student body and UCSU would often receive conflicting messages from the three executives. By reformatting to have a single president instead of three, there is a much stronger sense of direction from the executive branch and a more clear and unified voice through executive representation.

Question 5: If elected, what will you do to increase participation in UCSU?

We believe that the name change will have a large impact in promoting student awareness. We hope to appoint a determined election commissioner to our executive staff who will advertise UCSU elections and encourage student involvement and voting. We also intend to hire enthusiastic marketing staff to promote UCSU and student interests at a larger and more public level. We are confident that these initiatives will have greatly increased student interest and participation in UCSU.

Hunter Barnett (President)

Age: 22

Year: Senior

Major: Business administration with a double emphasis in finance and in operations and information management

Ticket: Veritas

Incumbent? Yes, current rep-at-large

Nicole McAllister

Age: 21

Year: Third

Major: Integrative physiology

Ticket: Veritas

Incumbent? No

Sanket S. Merchant

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major: Business administration with emphasis in finance and accounting and minor in economics.

Ticket: Veritas

Incumbent? Yes, current rep-at-large

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

As executives, our utmost priority would be to advocate the importance of higher education and lobby state and federal legislators to ensure that the University of Colorado-Boulder is an affordable institution that is accessible to all students. There are many avenues through which we will strive to achieve this goal as it is quintessential to the livelihood of students who currently reside on campus, as well as those who look to make CU their home for four or more years.

We would change the current Student Group Funding Board cost center by completely restructuring it. Students should be able to come in more than just once a year for funding. This way smaller student groups are not left out and it provides a means of communication and collaboration with all student groups on a continual basis. We are also in favor of implementing a budget advisory referenda on election ballots for larger student groups who wish to directly ask the student body for more funding.

Question 3: Do you support tuition flexibility and why or why not?

Currently, we stand neutral on the issue, as it seems to be a blessing and curse, when all is said and done. There is no objective evidence that ensures or formulates the “higher financial aid” model that has been discussed recently, and it would be irresponsible for us to take a stance on an initiative that could not be in the best interest of the students at CU. However, the autonomy that would be granted for the university is invaluable as it allows us to increase the number of international and non-resident students that attend this university and change and amend the budget in a way that suits the best interest of CU students among many others. It is expected to compensate increases in tuition with competitive increases in student aid, scholarships and grants, which would offset the tuition increases. However we need to be careful that this change wouldn’t discourage need-based students who would see a higher sticker price for education.

We are very optimistic that the newly established president position will enable the University of Colorado Student Union (UCSU), hopefully the University of Colorado Student Government (CUSG) if the advisory referenda is passed, accomplish its goal of increased transparency and accountability as we move forward.

Communication is the key to successful student interest and participation. The student body needs transparency from their student government. This can be achieved by completely redoing our UCSU Web site and proving a means of communication with all the elected officials. Also marketing and advertising of UCSU will get involvement to increase.

UCSU REPRESENTATIVES-AT-LARGE

Thomas Baxter

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major: English and ethnic studies

Ticket: Veritas

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

To ensure that student fees are being dispersed responsibly, and to make sure that student groups continue to be properly funded.

Question 2: What’s one thing you would change about the current budget?

I would continue to push for the necessary funding of student groups to continue their vital task of enriching the college experience for students, rather than support the proposed budget cuts to student group funding that were hotly debated this year.

I feel that for CU-Boulder to continue to provide a high quality education to its students, something needs to be done to increase the 3.3 percent state funding that it’s now receiving. I do see the benefits of giving the regents more control over the way the CU system is run, but I also feel that there does need to be a series of checks and balances within the system to make sure that college is still affordable for all students.

Rodrigo Gonzalez

Age: 21

Year: Fourth year

Major: Chemical and biological engineering

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

Overhaul student groups and student programming and activities into a new cost center, consolidating the repetitive services scattered throughout UCSU.

As the Finance Board chair this past year, I have had the ability to work closely with cost centers in order to come up with the student fee package. Although I have a lot of recommendations, the main thing I would change is the process by which cost centers and other auxiliaries apply for funds from the Energy and Climate Revolving Fund. Using our current resources I would encourage more usage of the fund which lends money for energy efficient projects. This would ultimately lower the student fee since the amount spent on utilities is less and students would make a 20 percent return on investment.

No. The Legislature works best at being fiscally real, setting achievable goals, and they answer to the people of Colorado. CU is a public institution and so the source of decisions should then be the public’s representatives. Tuition flexibility gives the school’s administration the ability to increase whenever they please as opposed to making the hard decisions about what services to offer and letting people go. These are hard times and academics are not always the administration’s biggest priorities.

Izzy Guerra

Age: 20

Year: Junior

Major: Accounting and financing

Ticket: Veritas

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

My No. 1 goal is to make sure that student fees don’t get out of hand while at the same time making sure that there is not a cut in the current programs that are provided to students.

I would change the way that student groups ask for money by making the process happen more than one time a year. This would benefit the students because the events would be spread out over the year because the funds would not be allocated at one point.

I support tuition flexibility in the fact that it gives the school the autonomy it needs from the state. However if the students are not sufficiently represented tuition flexibility could very easily result in negative effects for the students.

Brittni Hernandez

Age: 19

Year: Sophomore

Major: Ethnic studies

Ticket: Veritas

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

My No. 1 goal is to continue and expand the conversation pertaining to agency and civic engagement currently taking place on our campus. It is our privilege and our responsibility as students and global citizens to actively engage in our communities in a conscious and compassionate way.

After speaking with students and staff, the biggest issue that came up around funding was consistency. I will work to ensure there is consistency when evaluating and funding small and large cost centers. It is important to do what is best for all students, not just a specific constituency.

At this time, Veritas feels it is responsible to stay neutral on the topic of tuition flexibility. We are optimistic of the benefits it has to offer and cautious of its negatives. We are committed to affordability and accessibility for all students, and we would like to know more about the amount of financial aid this policy could potentially offer.

Samuel John

Age: 20

Year: Senior

Major: Philosophy, economics

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

Keep CU affordable without sacrificing the quality of education and the opportunities for students to be involved in campus life.

I would work to institute a referendum system for student group funding that would allow individual student groups, if they so choose, to receive funding via a waivable fee. Such a system gives student groups the option of appealing directly to the students to get funding while giving students more control over how their student fees are used.

I support tuition flexibility, but with caution. We need to ensure that a quality education is available to everyone, so I understand the necessity of raising tuition right now to maintain the quality of that education. Long-term affordability is no less important, so we also need to aggressively pursue more state funding and ensure that Colorado does not continue to neglect investments in higher education.

Leah Neumann

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major: Finance and accounting with a minor in political science

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

To keep student fees affordable and make sure there is transparency and accountability in how these funds are disbursed.

No answer.

Tuition flexibility has the potential to make higher education restrictively expensive for many students. As it is imperative to keep tuition affordable for all students, tuition flexibility must be checked with accountability and more financial aid if it is to be used.

Carly Robinson

Age: 24

Year: Third year of Ph.D work

Major: Atmospheric chemistry

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

I think the most important aspect to work on are keeping student fees as low as possible. With the tuition increases, we want to keep college affordable. We can find efficiencies in the cost center’s budgets while still keep the high level of support from the cost centers. With these efficiencies we can lower fees.

I think that we need to change the way Student Group Funding Board distributes the money they receive from student fees. Currently they accept applications once a year and distribute the funds to qualified student groups. I think that it is important to accept applications throughout the year and possibly distribute funds quarterly. This will give student groups that were created throughout the school year an opportunity to receive funding from SGFB.

I believe that tuition flexibility is not a great solution to state cuts on higher education, but this may be the best option to keep CU at its current academic level. I would only support tuition flexibility if there was a large student voice helping with the decision process.

Negou Seid

Age: 19

Year: Sophomore

Major: Communication

Ticket: Veritas

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

The No. 1 goal is to increase student involvement with the student governing body; to make sure we are giving all the students what they need in order to be successful. To make sure we are visible to all students and so that way they can hold us accountable.

Funding and budgets are a very important topic. I believe every group should get the funding they need; I also believe that in order for us to have enough funding, student groups should work together. There are a lot of events that happen on this campus that are similar and most times students don’t attend one if they attended the other one. The solution is for the student groups to share ideas, and have fewer events with a bigger impact. Instead of 400 minor events we can have 200 events with a larger turnout and more impactful.

Currently, we stand neutral on the issue, as it seems to be a blessing and curse, when all is said and done. There is no objective evidence that ensures or formulates the “higher financial aid” model that has been discussed recently, and it would be irresponsible for us to take a stance on a initiative that could not be in the best interest of the students at CU. We just don’t have enough knowledge on this issue to say we pick one side. No one really has enough knowledge on this issue, this is very important topic and we should critically examine both sides before we come to a conclusion.

Editor’s note: Jamie Trafficanda, Teddy Chavez and Karl Hoffman — independents running for representative-at-large — did not return candidate questionnaires.

ASSG CO-EXECUTIVES

Joe Duarte

Age: 19

Year: Sophomore

Major: Ethnic studies

Ticket: Veritas

Incumbent? Yes, currently ASSG vice president

Jasmine Maciel-Lugo

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major: History

Ticket: Veritas

Incumbent? Yes, currently ASSG legislator

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

As co-executives for the Arts and Sciences Student Government, our main goal is to help student groups in their process of finding funds, in order to host a diverse amount of events for CU students and the community.

With the increase of student groups and limited funding, current-funding systems, such as the Student Group Funding Board, need restructuring in order to better serve student groups and not financially hinder them.

We remain neutral in regards to tuition flexibility. With the current tuition increase, many students are burdened economically and as time progresses, attending CU will become financially more difficult. If tuition requires an increase, then there needs to be evidence that guarantees a balanced increase between tuition rates and student aid, which will help and not hurt students at CU, especially need based students.

Gregory Carlson

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major: Mathematics, economics, political science

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? No

Kevin Michael John

Age: 20

Year: Sophomore

Major: Advertising

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

Carlson: Lobbying at the state capitol to acquire more funding. I have interned for the minority leader and have experience working at the capitol. It is a travesty that Colorado is ranked 50th in terms of higher education funding. I will represent you and do everything I can to fix this.

John: I would like to see more funding for on campus events that can benefit the student body as a whole instead of offering so much money for certain individuals to travel to conferences and conventions. The events we offer on campus much more important and represent the fairest way to distribute the student fees that the Arts and Sciences Student Government are given in funding.

Carlson: I do not have a strong opinion about tuition flexibility either way, although I kind of feel that it is like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. We need to lobby for more funding and use the funding that we do have more efficiently. UCSU also needs to be more transparent about how it spends your fees.

ASSG REPRESENTATIVES

Carola Belton

Age: 20

Year: Junior

Major: International affairs

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

Higher education is the key for advancement so I’m committed to make higher education an affordable and attainable reality to all students.

I want to implement a referenda system that establishes WAIVABLE student fees in support of student groups. This allows CU students to choose what groups they want to support.

I support tuition flexibility in order to devote more resources to need-based financial aid students.

Yesenia Delgado

Age: 19

Year: Freshman

Major: Psychology and ethnic studies

Ticket: Veritas

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

My main goal is to be a voice of those underrepresented students on campus and to keep college affordable and accessible for everyone.

One thing I would change is making the funding process more transparent so all students can understand it, not just ones involved in student groups and cost centers.

Tuition flexibility is a tricky subject. Being on student government requires a person to consider the student body as a whole and what is beneficial for everyone and tuition flexibility has its benefits but it also has its downfalls, so I am on the fence about it.

Fredrick Austin Hernandez

Age: 19

Year: Freshman

Major: Open option

Ticket: Veritas

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

To provide the students at CU with a better feeling of community.

Student group funding needs to be restructured, we need to move away from annual budget allocations and make them more frequent so student groups have a better opportunity to receive student funding.

Yes. I’m in favor of a higher tuition, which means higher aid for our student groups. This will give us more autonomy from the state to set student aid standards.

Alexis Herr

Age: 19

Year: Freshman

Major: Political science

Ticket: Veritas

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

My No. 1 goal for this upcoming year would be to do what is in my power to help push for higher education reforms. I attended the march to the capitol on March 3 and it was truly an impacting experience. The necessity for support from our state and national government is vital for the successes of all of the students that attend this fine university. If I know that I can personally be apart of such a positive change as that I know that it would make the year a success.

I believe that the funding for student groups needs to be revamped. The amount of important student groups that allow each and everyone of us to find a community to be apart of in such a vast campus has only grown and the amount of money for those groups needs to grow slightly as well. All groups on this campus should be supported for providing the necessary assistance to students who want to be involved and have a connection to other students on a deep meaningful level; I hope that our administration can help support that.

I feel that tuition flexibility has many positives to it. While it seems intimidating to turn over all powers of tuition to the regents, if done in the correct manner with the proper supervision by the student government, it may provide for benefits in the future. It is certainly a complex issue that has the capability to go both ways.

Lexie Jones

Age: 19

Year: Freshman

Major: Political science and history

Ticket: Veritas

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

My number one goal is to make UCSU known to the current student population on campus and to the Boulder community.

The one thing I would want to change is the Funding Board for Student Groups. The current system is inefficient and makes difficult to get funding but also it does not allow UCSU to be fiscally responsible with the distribution of student fees to student groups. It will benefit students to reconstruct the Funding Board for Student Groups on campus because it will give efficiency to the process of gaining funds for groups.

No answer.

Travis Krogman

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major: Political science

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

Address Colorado’s higher education funding crisis. Work in coordination with UCSU colleagues, CU regents and state legislators to find a pragmatic, common sense solution that makes education more affordable.

More student group funding. Empower’s approach is to increase student referenda — better gauges student’s interests. Brings better representation to student groups/increases student awareness of budgetary process.

Yes, it means more autonomy for CU in setting tuition rates. CU regents are a smaller body that is more responsive to the needs of students.

Corey Parker

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major: Political science

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

Keeping college affordable without diminishing the quality of education.

Change the process in cost centers and create more efficiency to lower student costs.

No. Giving all the power to the regents would let them set their own agenda, which would not be beneficial to the students. The Legislature is best at setting reasonable goals and listening the students of University of Colorado.

Matthew Reiser

Age: 19

Year: Sophomore

Major: History

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

I, along with the Empower ticket’s, No. 1 goal is to keep college affordable. With the recent regents’ vote to hike tuition at CU by 9 percent, it is imperative that we keep higher education attainable to students of all socioeconomic backgrounds. This can be feasible by limiting student fee increases.

I would work to cut unnecessary expenses and search for inefficiencies within the current budget plan. This would save the school money and allow UCSU to use the money saved to increase funding for things students care about, such as student groups. Finding inefficiencies within the budget would also allow Empower to take a step towards our ultimate goal, keeping college affordable.

I, along with the Empower ticket, support tuition flexibility, but only with strong student and student government input.

Jeff Sarceno

Age: 19

Year: Sophomore

Major: Economics

Ticket: Veritas

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

To learn as much as possible from my duties as ASSG Legislative Board, and to serve the students of CU as best as possible.

Having meetings within the community so that we know students are using funds wisely.

No, because we don’t want to tuition to be raised dramatically.

Danielle Watkins-Green

Age: 20

Year: Sophomore

Major: Economics and minor in political science

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

My No. 1 goal is to keep CU-Boulder affordable and to have better representation of student groups on campus.

The one thing I would change about the current budget is to increase state funding. With an increase state funding, the university will not have to increase tuition as high like they have done in the past and it will benefit all students.

Yes, I support tuition flexibility, because the university can increase the quality of our education with better teachers and professors.

UCEC PRESIDENT

Kyle Ludwig

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major: Mechanical engineering

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

Keep school affordable for all engineers.

I would like to see an increase in student involvement regarding funding allocation.

I support flexible tuition that incorporates student input, which can increase tuition, in reason, but also decrease tuition when state funding is sufficient.

UCEC VICE PRESIDENT

Lauren Shapiro

Age: 20

Year: Sophomore

Major: Electrical and energy engineering

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

Make higher education affordable for engineering students.

I would like to see the students choose where their funding goes. I believe that all student groups on this campus are important, but in order to keep student fees low, and increase student involvement, I would like to give students the opportunity to choose where their fees are allocated.

I support tuition flexibility within reason. As long as the regents are willing to decrease tuition when applicable, I think it is necessary to keep the value of our education high. Without funding from the state, we would see a decline in the value of our education.

UCEC SENATORS

Thomas Benning

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major: Mechanical engineering

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? Yes

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

To make college more affordable for the majority of students on campus.

The biggest change I would make would be to help make it easier for well-supported student groups to receive funding. Student groups help run our campus and should all be given funding, but the amount should be based upon their availability to all students and their involvement campus wide.

I do support tuition flexibility, but within reason. Sometimes tuition needs to increase in order for student centers such as the rec center, to be renovated for students’ benefit, especially since the Colorado is 50th in funding for higher education. As long as those responsible keep college affordable and are willing to lower tuition rates when possible.

Gregory Kana

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Major: Mechanical engineering

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? Yes

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

Keeping student fees affordable while also providing students ample with extracurricular opportunities.

I would like to see a higher percentage of student fees go towards the funding of student groups. This would allow more students to actively use their student fees while also expanding involvement opportunities.

Yes, tuition flexibility is necessary in order to maintain and improve the status quo of a CU education.

UCEC REPRESENTATIVES

Jeffrey Lassen

Age: 19

Year: Freshman

Major: Electrical and computer engineering

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

To make college as affordable as possible for as many students as possible.

I would push to place more power directly into the hands of the students themselves. This can be done by running legislation that would allow students to choose which student groups are funded more than others. This benefits students in a few ways. First, it gives more responsibility to the students, so they know where their money is going. Second, it allows the majority of the student body to decide what student groups they believe are more important and which would gain most from funding. By placing the responsibility in the hands of the students, they will benefit from the student groups they choose, and from the knowledge of where their money is going.

I do support tuition flexibility, but with strict guidelines. Inflation is a constant phenomenon. As prices for goods rise, so must tuition in order to maintain the excellent education provided. While Colorado is at the bottom of the list for higher education funding, it will remain a struggle to keep the tuition from rising out of control. This is an issue at the legislative level, which needs to be resolved, but until then there will sometimes need to be higher tuition in order to provide the students with such benefits as an improved recreation center. Tuition flexibility needs to have strict rules governing it and the people responsible. Those in charge need to understand that, while higher tuition may sometimes be a necessary evil, college must remain affordable, and there should always be the possibility to lower tuition when possible.

Samuel Paul Nejedly

Age: 19

Year: Sophomore

Major: Mechanical engineering

Ticket: Empower

Incumbent? No

Question 1: What’s your No. 1 goal?

My main goal is to represent all engineering students and to make sure that their voices are heard by the UCSU.

I want to work to change how student groups receive funding from the university in order to allow for more groups in an efficient and less costly way.

I support tuition flexibility but only under very close observation from the student body. I believe it is necessary for tuition to be able to fluctuate over time but can be changed only as long as the student body is aware and active in the process.

Editor’s note: Jeremy Klammer and Scotty Hamilton — independents running for UCEC representative — did not return candidate questionnaires.