Robert Wieghard (Colorado Department of Corrections)

Robert Wieghard, who was convicted of murdering a worker at a Bennigan’s restaurant in Boulder in the early ’80s, was once again denied parole.

Wieghard was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole after 20 years after being convicted of first-degree murder for robbing and then shooting Henry Pfau Callahan, 24, at Bennigan’s in 1982.

Wieghard, 66, is currently serving his sentence at Fremont Correctional Facility just outside Cañon City, according to the Colorado Department of Corrections.

Wieghard applied for release last year, but a ruling was deferred for a year and he had a hearing on Monday.

Following the hearing, Wieghard was denied parole and the board said it would not take up the case for another three years. The maximum amount of time the parole board can defer a parole hearing is five years.

Callahan’s family, witnesses in the original case and the District Attorney’s Office have objected to Wieghard’s release and did so again on Monday.

“The victims and family members delivered such powerful, compelling statements to the parole board,” Boulder District Attorney Michael Dougherty said in a statement. “Although I cannot imagine the pain of that experience, they are to be commended for having the strength and courage to re-live these traumatic events. Our office will continue to join in the fight against his release. Given his violent criminal history as well as his utter failure to accept full responsibility for his actions, I am glad that the parole board declined to release this dangerous offender back into our community.”

Callahan’s brother Jay also released a statement on behalf of the family.

“The Callahan family is thankful that the Colorado Parole Board saw fit to keep Henry Callahan’s killer, Robert Wieghard, in prison for three more years, at a minimum,” the statement read. “We had hoped for five years before his next parole hearing, but, at least, now we don’t have to think about this guy for a couple of years.”

Wieghard was on parole for a previous weapons charge on June 23, 1982, when he shot and killed Callahan during a late-night robbery during which he demanded money at gunpoint, according to police. Callahan surrendered, raising his hands and complying with his demands, but Wieghard shot Callahan in the head.

Wieghard was on the run for about a month before being arrested. A Bennigan’s waitress identified Wieghard in a line-up, and while he was awaiting trial, Wieghard offered another inmate in the Boulder County Jail $3,500 to kill the woman who identified him, prosecutors said.